• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NBA Draft 2011 Thread

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know there's not a lot of people here that watch the NBA or the Draft, but I still wanted to start a thread since the Draft is Thursday night.

The Cavaliers are currently on the clock and early reports are that they'll be going with Duke point guard Kyrie Irving. I think that would be the best pick for them, they need a point guard, and he has to a chance to be a franchise player.

Other early reports are that Timberwolves might be interested to trade there second pick for a veteran. The Cavaliers are also looking at trading there fourth pick for a player that could make an impact right away. Fredette is now ranked in the top ten after a good combine and interviews. Valanciunas stock is dropping since he still has two years left in his contract in Europe and it might be very hard to buyout.

My team the Raptors have the fifth pick and personally I hope Brandon Knight drops to them, but I have a strong feeling that the Jazz will select him at the three spot since they need a point guard(Devin Harris isn't the answer). If that's the case, then my belief is they'll take Walker. I'm not sold on him at all right now. He did have a good tournament, but I don't know if his game will translate well in the NBA.

Anyway, I can't wait to watch this on Saturday night. It's always exciting.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I don't know most of the NCAA players that well, but I'm definitely interested in reading the results of the draft and learning about these players, especially the one in the early rounds that go to teams that really need them.

From what I saw here: NBA.com: Draft 2011 , my team, The Hornets, don't pick until 45? Did I miss an earlier pick, or what's going on here?

I'll be especially interested in seeing what players from Mizzou are drafted. I'm a big Tigers fan.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Hornets were listed to get a 19th pick, but they traded that pick to the Charlotte Bobcats, so they'll be picking at that spot instead. Fortunately the Hornets got that 45th pick from the 76ers, they almost didn't have any selections in this draft.

Unfortunately there's not really a prospect from Mizzou in this draft this year, so don't be surprised if none get selected.

My sleeper of this draft is Kenneth Faried, he has the tools and hunger to be the next Dennis Rodman. I know that's a huge comparision to make, but he goes after every ball that is off the rim and his hustle is always there.

If you have any questions Unity just let me know. I usually follow these things pretty closely.
------
Sources are saying that the San Antonio Spurs are looking to trade Tony Parker for a top ten pick this Thursday. Not really surprising, the Spurs are a old team and need a young player. The Spurs have been talking about trading Parker for almost two years now. I do wonder if a lottery team is going to bite and take the risk in signing Parker.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hate talking to myself but the draft is about to start in about fourty minutes or so. There's a lot of trade rumors out there, and there's supposedly a trade between three teams already. Here are the details of the trade.

Report: Bobcats, Bucks, Kings in three-team trade before NBA draft - NBA News | FOX Sports on MSN

The trade will probably be announced before the draft begins.

The Bobcats now have two picks in the top ten. I have a feeling they'll go with Biyombo and Klay Thompson.

I can't wait for this to start.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This was pretty much the most boring NBA Draft I've ever seen. Seems like there's a major lack of talent coming into the league this year.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I thought it was pretty interesting, I do agree that there's no real superstar in this draft, but there's a lot of potential in some of the players.

Surprised on how many Europeans got drafted in the top ten. Raptors had a chance to draft Brandon Knight(who I really wanted) but they decided to go with Jonas Valanciunas. A lot of scouts say that he can be the best player in the draft in a few years, but the issue with him is that he still has two years left in his contract with his European team. I think the buyout is at 2.5 million dollars.

Really happy to see two Canadians get drafted in the first round. I was kind of surprised to see Tristan Thompson go that high(he went number 4). His teammate and fellow Canadian Corey Joseph went to the Spurs late in the first round.

Scouts are saying that the Bobcats had the best draft. They got Biyombo and Kemba Walker early on and they made a few late good draft picks.

Jimmer went to the Kings and if he plays his cards right he might be the starting point guard in the upcoming season since they have no one to play that position right now. He needs to prove that he can defend though, so if I was him that's the main thing I would practice all off-season since we all know he can score at will.

Pretty intrigued to see how Williams is going to be fit on this roster. They already have Beasley at the three and Love at the four spot.

BigBob

Registered Member
Whoever gets Ben Hansbrough in free agency is getting a huge steal. I feel like this is a guy that can get solid playing time, anywhere from 15-20 minutes a game and get you 15-20 points when needed.

For my 76ers, I kind of wish we'd have gone bigger in the first round but Nikola Vucevic seems like he's that rebounder that we really need. Back-to-back rebounding titles in the Pac-10.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm surprised that no one picked Ben Hansbrough. I thought he was going to be late second rounder for sure. I do believe that someone is going to take a chance on this kid. He's a smooth shooter and he can be a great bench player for a lot of teams in the NBA. He sorts of remind me of Matt Carroll.

I think the 76ers should get from Vucevic is just a solid career backup Center and maybe fringe starter, somewhere between Nenad Krstic and Brad Miller. Maybe Mehmet Okur with less range or Al Horford with worse handles and rebounding would be good comparisons as well. He also needs to add a bit of bulk.

I think one steal of the draft is Faried. The guys hustles on every play and goes and get it. Could be a Dennis Rodman type of player. He'll eventually replace Martin.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TheRealVJ NBA 8
Babe_Ruth NBA 9
Babe_Ruth NBA 3
Shooting_Palanx NBA 1
K College Sports 1