NBA All Star weekend Discussion thread

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There’s not a lot of NBA fans here which is unfortunate, but I still believe we can have a good discussion about the NBA All Star weekend which starts this Friday. Anyone will be watching?

I’ll definitely be watching, I can’t wait for the Rookie vs Sophomore game on Friday Night, but what I’m most excited about during that Friday Evening is the Dunk-In during half time. The winner will be the fourth participant in the dunk contest on Saturday Night. The competition will be between Eric Gordon of the Clippers and Demar DeRozan of the Raptors. I don’t see Demar losing this one, the guy has major dunking skills.

Saturday night will be the skills competition, I’m really looking forward to the three point shot contest and the dunk competition. Those two events are almost always very entertaining.

On Sunday night will be the All Star game itself, I won’t be able to watch it live since I am going to a concert that night, but I’ll be watching the reply when I get home. We all know it’s not usually a competitive game, but seeing all these incredible players playing together is something to see in my opinion. There’s also some nice plays and dunks in these type of games.

Anyone else is going to be catching All Star weekend?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not going to be around later tonight but I'm recording the Rookie/Sophomore game. I'll be rooting for the rookie team because I'd like to see the underdogs win.

Do you know if a rookie team has ever beaten the sophomore team for that year?

As for the All-Star game I'll be rooting for the West all the way.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
The Sophomores lead the all-time series versus the Rookies 8–2 since the game changed to its current format in 2000. There's no way in hell that the rookies are going to win this game tonight. The sophomore team is just way too strong this season and the rookie team is just not good enough. The only thing I'm really looking forward too tonight is the dunk off between Eric Gordon and my boy DeMar DeRozan. Hopefully DeRozan can pull it off and advance to saturday's dunk contest. But I dont see him not advancing.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well the All Stat competition was pretty disappointing, the dunk contest wasn't all that entertaining. Robinson won again, but I believe DeRozan should of won since he had the best two dunks of the night.

Pierce won the three point contest, it wasn't entertaining like the one we had in the past.

Overall it wasn't a great night.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I only saw a little bit of the dunk contest, but I wasn't impressed by anything I saw. I saw DeRozan's second dunk, which I think got a perfect 50. I didn't even think it was all that great or original. And what's up with there being only four competitors? The dunk contest just isn't what it used to be.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The thing is this, in 2000 Vince Carter set the bar way to high with incredible dunks that we've never seen before. Now everytime we watch the dunk competition we expect something similar. But I doubt we'll ever see those type of dunks anytime soon.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I like the skills competition and the 3 point shootout, and the one with the nba, wnba and former star. I'm glad texas won. haha They were tearing it up.

I would've liked Curry to win the 3 point contest, but Paul is alright I guess.

I'm ok with Nash winning again. I like both him and Williams.

I didn't really watch the dunk contest. Nate winning again has got to be the most anticlimactic result ever. Hopefully he won't compete again next year. Maybe Lebron will join, unless he backs out....again.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The uniforms are really ugly again, but not as bad as that one year where they had different colors front and back and both teams looked the same. I wish they'd just let the players wear their team uniforms like they used to. I guess they just want special jerseys to sell as souvenirs. Everything's about the money these days.

Also, I can't help but laugh when I watch NBA games. Even the All Star game has music playing constantly during the game. It's like watching a circus.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't get the chance to watch the game but I heard it was really exciting, Chris Bosh hit the two winning free throws. The game finished 141-139, Dwyane Wade won the MVP he played really great.

There was 108,000 total fans at the game and that's incredible.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
That is a crazy attendance for a basketball game and rivals even the biggest college football games. I think a lot of people probably just went more to experience the scene of a basketball game in the new Cowboys Stadium than to actually see the NBA All Star game. I've been to NCAA Tournament games at the old RCA Dome in Indianapolis and the views were terrible. No matter where you sit you're really far from the court and the court is tiny.