Nature vs. Nurture

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Nosferatu_Alucard, May 15, 2007.

1. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

Are people naturally born the way they are, or is it because of the way we are brought up we turn out to be who we are today?

2. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

I feel it is the experience we have thruout life that makes us the people who we are. I don 't think we are born the way we are...we become who are as we live our lives out. It is an ever changing thing.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I believe we're born with a set of traits that can be strengthened or weakened as time wears on.

Yet, at the same time, I want to say that we learn everything and that we're not predisposed to anything. To see this, think of feral children and how they develop from their surroundings. I think it's the same with everybody, we adapt to the surroundings.

4. ChinUp

ChinUp ¤ Breathe

genetics is like the plate you eat off .. what you cook up & put on it, is up to you ..

as a child other people cook for you .. when your adult you cook for yourself ..

5. Nosferatu_Alucard

What about killers and criminals? Were they born that way, or the way they were brought up?

6. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

Perhaps they merely saw a lot of death in their life and loss disgust toward it.

Life isn't just based upon being raised a certain way....that is a factor, but its also the experiences you have away from ur family aswell.

7. ChinUp

ChinUp ¤ Breathe

Sounds like you don't want to believe that it has anything to do with what they themselves chose .. like you want to be able to blame sombody else or genetics for horrible behaviour individuals perpetrate ? Whats wrong with people taking responsibility for their own actions ?

8. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nothing is wrong with it, but let me answer your question with another question and you'll maybe understand better. Why can't criminals be born that way? I mean, mentally disabled people are.

9. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

It seems you don't believe in evil....you just think it is an imbalance of chemicals in the brain or something....I'm here to inform you that it is existent here, and I've seen it.

10. ChinUp

ChinUp ¤ Breathe

Do you really think people should be able to get away with saying .. I was just born this way ?