natural flea repellant.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by ILOVEUSA911, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ILOVEUSA911

ILOVEUSA911 Registered Member

As you all know, between heart worm medicine and flea control products it can get really expensive to do what we need to do when we make that commitment to do the best thing for our animals.

I used to buy the flea stuff from the vet that you put on the back shoulder blade of your dogs or cats. I've also tried the pills.

I did some research a while back on natural flea repellants and found this. It has really worked and my vet said it's actually good for my animals. So I thought I'd share it.

Now you can either make the treats, which I like to do because my dogs are like the Cookie Monster when it comes to treats, or you can purchase the brewers yeast from a health food store and sprinkle it, the garlic powder and a little bit of oil (I use extra virgin olive oil because it's better for them) onto their food. My dogs love it. So if I don't have time to make the treats, I just sprinkle it on their food every day, we have no flea problems and that's saying alot down here in the south where the fleas are awful.

Flea Terminator Dog Treats

3 cubes beef bouillon (I also use chicken broth or chicken bouillon cubes)
    1 1/2 cups boiling water
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 cup cornmeal
    2/3 cup brewers' yeast
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 egg yolks

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Dissolve beef bouillon cubes in boiling water, and set aside. Grease cookie sheets.

In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, corn meal, brewers yeast, and garlic powder. Add the yolks, then gradually pour in the bouillon water while stirring. Mix thoroughly to form a firm dough. On a floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place cookies one inch apart onto cookie sheets.

Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn the oven off, and leave the cookies inside for at least 3 hours or overnight to harden. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
    Did you know?
    Brewers yeast
    (available at health-food stores) is a natural anti-flea remedy.
    A half teaspoon of nutritional brewer's yeast daily can provide the B complex vitamins a dog needs. Dr. Michael Fox recommends brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast (but not baker's yeast), giving 1 teaspoon per 30 pounds of body weight mixed with the animal's food. (I also add garlic powder to the food as it too repels fleas)

Flea Hater's Dog Biscuits

1 cup flour
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    1/4 cup brewer’s yeast
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
    optional 1 clove garlic chopped, or 1 teaspoon powdered garlic
    1/2 cup chicken stock plus 3 tablespoons for basting

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Mix flour, wheat germ, brewer’s yeast, and salt together in a medium bowl. In a mixing bowl, combine oil and garlic. Alternately add 1/2 cup chicken stock and flour mixture in 3 parts; mix until well combined. Knead about 2 minutes by hand on floured surface; dough will be sticky.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out about 3/8 inch thick. Cut out bone shapes; place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, rotate baking sheet, and baste with remaining 3 tablespoons chicken stock. Bake 10 minutes longer. Turn off oven, leaving oven door closed. Leave pan in oven for 1 1/2 hours longer

2. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

I can vouch for the efficacy of brewers' yeast. Pennyroyal and citrus oils in a shampoo base are also good natural weapons for flushing the fleas from our fabulous furry friends. Generally, though, I take the easy route and grab some pyrethrins at the local pet store.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009