• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Nationals signs Casey Janssen

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
“@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Nationals sign free-agent reliever Casey Janssen, one year with mutual option, $5M guaranteed including option buyout.”

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
More info for those who were curious about his numbers like I am:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12242 ... -nationals

"The Washington Nationals have signed reliever Casey Janssen to a one-year contract worth $5 million, according to multiple reports.

The deal includes a mutual option for 2016, according to reports.

Janssen, 33, has spent his entire eight-year career with the Toronto Blue Jays, going 29-24 with a 3.52 ERA and 90 saves. The right-hander spent the past three seasons as Toronto's closer, converting 81 of 91 save opportunities.

Janssen figures to serve as a late-inning setup man for the Nationals, who traded right-hander Tyler Clippard to the Athletics earlier this offseason."

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Good gamble, was trying to come back and pitch through a back injury last season and essentially missed Spring training and the first part of the year. Solid Tyler Clippard replacement.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Won't miss him. Always thought the Blue Jays should have traded him when his stock was much higher, but now they lost him for nothing.

Should be interesting to see how he pitches for a contender. Lots of amazing starters on that team, so the odds of coming in with a lead is pretty high. If he blows those leads on a regular basis he won't be around for long.

I'm a huge Casey Janssen guy I remember when he first came up and I remember the offseason he worked with Doc to go in the rotation and ended up having surgery that spring. Most of all I'll never forget the effort he put into every performance and the fact that he is a true warrior. I wish the Blue Jays had shown a little more loyalty to him. It is great for him to be going to the Nationals and having a real shot at the playoffs. I like action but I would never bet against Casey Janssen.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I would agree that the Jays should've dealt Janssen at the trade deadline when his stock was high, but the Jays at the time were very much in the thick of things in the playoff race and unloading a closer, probably for some sort of prospects package, wouldn't have helped the club push toward the playoffs (not that Janssen helped much after the trade deadline, but it's not like we thought that was going to become the norm for him).