National Day of Prayer

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Mirage, May 6, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Today is the "National Day of Prayer" in America. Does this day mean anything to you, and if so, what and why?

I feel this day means quite a lot. For me it represents something that I feel too many people forget every other day of the year. It's a day to celebrate religious freedoms and remember that there are people in other countries who will go to jail or maybe even be killed today for expressing their religious beliefs.

How many people (who live in America) didn't have a clue that today was the National Day of Prayer?

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

We actually had a prayer meeting at my high school this morning around the flagpole, my friend and I organized and led it. Teachers in my district were actually told not to participate in the prayer meetings because they didn't want to offend anybody, so a lot of my teachers showed up anyway.

I think this is an important day because it's really one of the only days of the year when all (or most) Christians all around the country unite or come together if you will. It's sad but true, I wish it happened quite a bit more though.

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Apparently only one person knew about it.:rolleyes: Yes, I knew and did a lot of reading over the controversy of the day in general. Seems that this will be outlawed unless something is done about it.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I don't want to stray off topic but I find the arguments that the National Day of Prayer somehow violates the Establishment Clause as idiotic. No religion is established and no one is forced to participate. This argument that the Framers wanted a completely secular society lacks historical backing.

This is pretty much what it means for me as well, a day to celebrate the religious freedom that we have and even in 2010 how many people are oppressed because of their religious beliefs around the world.

5. easyD

easyD Registered Member

I knew about it but working in public schools, no prayer allowed. I think this is one of those days that are destined to dissolve into the modern concept of correctivness. Obama did not observe this day as a day of prayer and he is supposed to be an example for all Americans? It's our leaders that tear down the wholesome goodness of tradition. People are afraid to elect religious leaders into political offices, then when this happens they wonder why.