Nascar

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm not exactly a huge fan of NASCAR but I do listen to it on the radio on Saturday and Sunday to help pass the time. Every once and a while I'll flip between a race and whatever I'm watching on TV at that time. I don't watch it at all during football season.

For a sport that has so many millions of fans you hardly ever see any discussion about it on the internet like you do with the other major sports (college and professional).

I was just wondering why this sport doesn't have the online support that other sports have.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
My best guess would be that Nascar is a sport that is usually much more popular with older generations (people 35 and older I'd guess maybe even 40). With older generations you don't get a ton of people that are online doing blogging and forums.

Makes sense to me.

I don't really like Nascar, car racing doesn't interest me a whole lot, Nascar is a lot of left turns. :lol:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Listening to NASCAR on the radio would be even more boring than watching it on TV.

I'm sure the die hard fans can find things to talk about, and there probably are active NASCAR forums on the internet, but it doesn't seem like a sport that casual fans can discuss at length. What all can you say? "Jimmy Johnson has the sickest left turn in NASCAR!" Or, "Man, that crew really knows how to do a four tire change!"

Doc

V.I.P.
Honestly, I find it more interesting to listen to on the radio. I think it has to do with the announcers' enthusiasm for the sport.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
I find NASCAR dreafully boring. And I'm a car fan. F1 and ALMS is the way to go.....

Man, that crew really knows how to do a four tire change!
Thats probably the only thing in NASCAR that needs any skill :lol:

I guess what Dave said would be pretty close. most NASCAR fans are "old" and aren't in touch with the internet. The Whole of NASCAR isn't very advanced. They still use carburetors... lol

Doc

V.I.P.
They still use carburetors... lol
That has to do with their ability to keep the cars competitively equal. That's another argument for another topic for people who actually give a damn about the cars, though.

That's one of my huge arguments against NASCAR, though. The governing body spends all of its time trying to keep the cars as similar as possible. I hate that.

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
I enjoy Nascar if there is nothing else to watch, but I'm not exactly a fan. Its true there is nothing really to discuss, but it is pretty entertaining when you're sitting with a die hard fan like my uncle. He goes nuts.

Thats probably the only thing in NASCAR that needs any skill :lol:
Thankfully you're just joking.

I used to be a big fan years ago, but NHL and NFL have pretty much consumed all of the interest in sports.

There is strategy, late battles and of course crashes that make it intersting to watch. Obviously it's no where near hockey or football, but it's still better than watching golf. Ha.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
There is strategy, late battles and of course crashes that make it intersting to watch. Obviously it's no where near hockey or football, but it's still better than watching golf. Ha.
Thankfully you're just joking.

The appeal of NASCAR, to americans is the overtaking and crashing. With upwards of 30 cars on the field, yeah, they come to watch the traffic pass eachother or crash into eachother. Its not so much about the driving. And I'm serious here, doing a fast pit stop takes alot of skill, especially since NASCAR still uses 5 wheel nuts, while Formula One and ALMS cars have center locking nuts, which is a one bolt deal. Their is alot of team effort involved in getting a 4 tire change in under 30 seconds.

But if I want to watch cars racing, I'd watch ALMS or Formula 1.