Nascar: Phoenix Int'l Raceway "Subway Fresh Fit 500"

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.

Phoenix International Raceway

PIR is streaky. Dale Earnhardt Jr. won consecutive races in 2003-2004. Busch brothers won back-to-back in 2005 (Kurt, then Kyle). Kevin Harvick won both events in 2006. Hendrick drivers Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson swept the two races in 2007.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Past Results at Phoenix Int'l Raceway "Subway Fresh Fit 500"

Date.........Race Name...................Pole Winner....Race Winner....Car Make

04/21/07....Subway Fresh Fit 500....Jeff Gordon....Jeff Gordon......Chevrolet
04/22/06....Subway Fresh 500.........Kyle Busch....Kevin Harvick...Chevrolet
04/23/05....Subway Fresh 500.........Jeff Gordon....Kurt Busch......Ford

*does not include results from Novembers "Checker Auto Parts 500 presented by Pennzoil"

PIR By The Numbers

1: Number of races won from the pole.
3: Drivers that have raced every Phoenix race. Dale Jarrett, Mark Martin & Ken Schrader.
4: Back-to-back winners. Davey Allison (1991 & 1992), Jeff Burton (2000 & 2001), Dale Earnhardt Jr (2003 & 2004), Kevin Harvick (Spring & Fall 2006).
7: Average number of cautions.
12th: Average & Median start position of race winner.
14: Average number of lead changes.
21: Number of NASCAR Cup races run at Phoenix International.
29: Furthest starting position of race winner. Ricky Rudd on October 09, 1995.
44: Percentage that Dale Earnhardt Jr finishes in the Top 5.
81.25: Percentage that Jeff Gordon finishes in the Top 10.
90.547: Slowest average race speed (November 06, 1988).
118.132: Fastest average race speed (November 07, 1999).
135.854: Track qualifying speed record. Set by Dale Earnhardt Jr for the November 07, 2004 race.
6740: Days since Alan Kulwicki won his first NASCAR race at this track's first race and celebrated with his first Polish victory lap.
3,369,205: Dollars more the race purse was in the Fall 2006 race than in 1988.

Lots of spins and spills at Texas last week; McDowell flipping in Qualifying, Watrip spinning in Lap 28, Gordon wrecking in Lap 109, Yelley at lap 175 to name a few (or pretty much all of them). The Drivers like Edwards find the constant complaining about the handling of the new car a little hard to take. Of course, he hasn't dealt with aero issues that much, since he's been dominant in each of the three intermediate-track races this season. He led a race-high 123 laps on Sunday, including the final six. more from this article

Here we are, race number 8 of the Nascar Season... Whats in the cards for Phoenix?

information gathered at nascar.com

The_Burger_King

Registered Member
Decent race and I quit watching when Kasey Kahne went out, was feeling good for a while was racing consistant for the first few races, saw he was in 4th then after the pit stop under caution dropped to 15th, then the night got worse from there. I am hoping he can get back on track after 2 poor weeks and move back up in the standings.

side note I had yet to check this section here at GF, when I did was glad to see a NASCAR thread.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Decent race and I quit watching when Kasey Kahne went out, was feeling good for a while was racing consistant for the first few races, saw he was in 4th then after the pit stop under caution dropped to 15th, then the night got worse from there. I am hoping he can get back on track after 2 poor weeks and move back up in the standings.

side note I had yet to check this section here at GF, when I did was glad to see a NASCAR thread.
Awesome! I'm glad to see someone appreciates it! I'll continue to bring my material here then!

With crew chief Chad Knaus beseeching driver Jimmie Johnson to save fuel in the final seven laps of Saturday night's Subway Fresh Fit 500 at Phoenix International Raceway, the two-time defending Cup champion nursed the No. 48 Chevrolet across the finish line 7.002 seconds ahead of Clint Bowyer, who also gambled on fuel.

Johnson completed the final lap at a relative snail's pace -- 31.19 seconds -- in full conservation mode.

The victory returned Hendrick Motorsports to Victory Lane after an eight-race hiatus and gave the two-time defending Cup champion the 34th win of his career -- and second consecutive at Phoenix. Denny Hamlin ran third, followed by Carl Edwards, who rallied from a pit road penalty to claim the fourth spot.
The consensus was correct here as PIR stays a Chevy dominated track.... 6 of the top 10 cars were chevrolets with 2 toyotas and 2 fords among the pack. The wall at Phoenix was the show stopper easily collecting 7 single cars out of the 8 yellows thrown. The only other yellow in response to the only red flag thrown due to Ryan Newman's engine blowing; spewing oil all over the track, collecting a bunch of cars. Jeff Burton, Johnny Sauter, J.J. Yeley, Reed Sorenson and Matt Kenseth among those seen spinning or crashing.

1. Jimmie Johnson
2. Clint Bowyer
3. Denny Hamlin
4. Carl Edwards
5. Mark Martin
6. Jeff Burton
7. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
8. Martin Truex Jr.
9. Greg Biffle
10. Kyle Busch
Official Results
*Some things to note
-The start of the race was delayed for more than 16 minutes to accommodate the rain-delayed Major League Baseball game between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, which FOX also televised.
-Engine failures wiped out both front row starters. Newman fell out after 134 laps (watch video), and second-place starter Elliott Sadler followed with a blown motor on Lap 161. Newman finished 43rd, Sadler 41st.
-Comment of the race from 23rd-place finisher Kurt Busch: "My car's so tight it wouldn't turn at Talladega."

*Rookie Update
-Sam Hornish Jr. takes the rookie lead from Smith by 3 points.

Pictures and information thanks to nascar.com
ps. I apologize for the delay.

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
I know nothing about Nascar just popped in to say that big races tend to plug up the main road I live off of with lots of traffic and motor homes/trailers when races are over. The raceway is just down the street somewhere.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
oh wow thats crazy! There was a proposition to build a nascar ready track a couple country blocks down from where I work. It would have brought in sooooo much money to the town but got shot down because some residents further away than me complained to the city board that the noise level would be more than bearable....so it got shot down and a town about 45 minutes away ended up getting the bid and will end up with a track some time in 2009.

The_Burger_King

Registered Member
I know all about the motor home/trailer line of traffic, up until this year our christmas gift from my father and step mom was a trip to Darlington for the weekend for the Busch/Nationwide series and Sprint cup race. We would rent one of the big motor homes and go down for what alot say is one of the best party places for camping and tailgaiting. We all hang out drink massive amounts of alcohol, last year we started Friday morning at 11 am when we got there and did not stop until sunday after the rain delayed race. If you have never had a camping experience at the track for the weekend save up and try to do it at least once it makes the whole race experience even more fun, plus a to of stuff to so outside the track free stuff etc.