Narration Styles. (Reading and Writing)

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by dDave, Apr 26, 2010.

?

What are your preferences? (vote for one labeled reading and one labeled writing)

1. Reading - 1st Person

33.3%
  2. Writing - 1st Person

33.3%
  3. Reading - 2nd Person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Writing - 2nd Person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Reading - 3rd Person Omniscient

33.3%
  6. Writing - 3rd Person Omniscient

66.7%
  7. Reading - 3rd Person Limited

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Writing - 3rd Person Limited

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Reading - No Preference

33.3%
  10. Writing - No Preference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I wasn't sure which section to put this in because it involves how you prefer to write and how you prefer to read.

There are many different types of narration, let's list them here...

-1st person - The story is told by the protagonist or one of the characters in the story.

2nd Person - The reader is the protagonist, usually a choose your own adventure book or something similar.

3rd Person Omniscient - a god-like voice narrates the entire story

3rd Person Limited - The story is still told by a god-like voice, however the knowledge is limited and future events are not unveiled.

Depending on the person you might also hear of a few other styles such as third person focalized, but they overlap so much I feel as if I have made a pretty complete list.

These tend to be the 3 most common forms of narration I just added 2nd person for fun.

Which of these narration styles do you prefer when you read?

Which of these styles do you prefer to use when writing?

Vote for your preferences in the poll.

Personally I prefer the third person omniscient point of view for both, I really don't like first person narratives very much they tend to get very confusing because of the lack or limit thereof of knowledge. Third person omniscient is good because when you're writing you don't have to conceal stuff, I always tend to forget to add things in later if I'm required to use limited. I also prefer to read in third person omniscient probably just because it's closest to my writing style so I'm used to it.

2. Sigurd

Sigurd Internet Dig Dug

I like first person perspective, it works great for crime or suspense novels which are my favorite. The perspective makes you either rely on your own assumptions or the thoughts of the character that the story follows.

dDave likes this.
  3. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

That's sort of why I don't like it. I hate suspense books, I like stuff that is somewhat predictable, but you really do have to read the entire story to truly understand it.

One problem I have with first person is that it automatically makes one character seem to much more important than all of the others. That works for a lot of stories. When I'm writing though I always have 2 or 3 characters that the story is focusing on at a time.

4. Loyal-Friend

Loyal-Friend Registered Member

For reading I don't really have a preference but for writing I prefer 3rd person omniscient as I feel it gives a wider scope for imagination and description for narrative.

5. shelgarr

shelgarr Registered Member

I haven't voted yet. I wish I could think of examples in my history of reading that I could draw on. It would make it easier for me to determine my preference.

Currently in "Testimony" it switches character to character, but in little snippets. A few major characters are more prominent. Yet, perspective of the main event in the book is important so I like that you are given thoughts from others. It's not like you know the character though. I tend to like books where characters are fully developed so that the reader actually becomes invested in them.