• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Narcissism

shelgarr

Registered Member
Do you know how to recognize it? Do you know someone that is a narcissist? Do you stay friends with them? How do you deal with it?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Definition - Wikipedia

Narcissism is the personality trait of egotism, vanity, conceit, or simple selfishness. Applied to a social group, it is sometimes used to denote elitism or an indifference to the plight of others
I have a friend or two on Facebook that complain about nothing but themselves and then bitch when others have problems or want help from them. But I'm sure I'm not the only one with a few of these assholes on my friends list. Speaking of which, I should probably do a purge soon.

Online people seem to think I'm a narcissist and maybe I am, but it's just online. I hate leaving people lost or without help if I can offer it and it kind of bothers me that there are people out there who are able to just ignore everything else but themselves.

shelgarr

Registered Member
LOL. You Merc? I don't see you that way. A pattern has been established both by you and your participators here (maybe online in general?) that will forever be attached to your name. Objectivity will be a cold day in hell.

I'm wondering if a really strong self-esteem or severe over-compensation for insecurities are sometimes confused with narcissism??? Truly, I'm trying to figure this out.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm wondering if a really strong self-esteem or severe over-compensation for insecurities are sometimes confused with narcissism??? Truly, I'm trying to figure this out.
I'm sure it does but then again, this is why we've been given the gift of communication. You can just assume someone is a self-serving prick or you could get to know them. As you mentioned, some people are just insecure and overcompensate and some people are just very confident in themselves and I think that is the one most often confused with egotism or elitism.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
LOL. You Merc? I don't see you that way. A pattern has been established both by you and your participators here (maybe online in general?) that will forever be attached to your name. Objectivity will be a cold day in hell.

Yeah I know I say that I'm awesome all the time, but I don't mean that I'm better than anyone in particular, just the majority of the people you know :D

No, but I think it's really easy to tell if people are ironic or if they're actual dicks. I overcompensate a lot in my personal life. People who know me may think it's warranted and agree that I'm awesome, while others might think I"m crazy. Either way I can live with the result at the end of the day.

shelgarr

Registered Member
True narcissism is a disorder of the personality.....right? One with NPD even might require treatment. I really wonder if these type people can have friends??? Who can put up with it?

Taliesin

Registered Member
I think the key might be that the narcissist is simply unable to feel empathy for another human being. They can only relate to their own feelings. They might appear to empathise only so far as it serves their own purposes, but generally they're just emotional and/or physical bullies that can in some cases be downright destructive.

I've read somewhere that it's possible that many management types fall into the narcissist category because they have the emotional detachment necessary to make the tough choices when managing those beneath them (firing or hiring, for example). That would be pretty chilling if that were even a little bit true.

Last edited:

C-Mach

Registered Member
I know at least one narcissist. He is typing on this computer right now.

2010Dolby

Registered Member
I think the key might be that the narcissist is simply unable to feel empathy for another human being. They can only relate to their own feelings. They might appear to empathise only so far as it serves their own purposes, but generally they're just emotional and/or physical bullies that can in some cases be downright destructive.
Im taking a psych class in college and thats the exact definition of narcissism. Its an actual mental disorder so some people feel pity for narcissists, but how other individuals feel about it is up to them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Bathroom Wall 7