TV Napoleon Dynamite Animated Show Coming to Fox

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Mirage, Sep 23, 2010.

?

Will this series succeed or flop?

1. Succeed

25.0%
  2. Flop

75.0%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

2. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

This sounds like a terrible idea. I have my fingers crossed that it will fail miserably.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  3. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

Heck yes! I love Napolean Dynamite and even though I voted "yes" to the poll it will probably most likely be a colossal failure. Remember how everyone loved Friday back in the late 90s with a vegeance and then MTV2 decided to make it a animated series? Yeah, bad idea. It was cancelled after 8 episodes.

idisrsly likes this.
  4. LifeinthePond

LifeinthePond Mark ov teh Pond

It will flop. I don't know about anyone else, but in my neck-of-the-woods everyone hates the movie, myself included.

Ironically enough though--I am wearing a ND t-shirt right now. It's a slogan one that reads,

Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day.

I got it for $2, man. It's a good night shirt and happens to be in GREEN!

5. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

I consider Napoleon Dynamite to be one of, if not the, single worst movies I have ever seen. I have said on here before that I will not watch anything with Jon Heder in it until he publicly castrates himself as penance for that movie. So needless to say, the news of it being made into a TV show makes me want to go to the nearest old lady I can find and punch her in the face.

That being said, knowing how FOX works, the show will probably be terrible but stay on the air while number of genuinely funny and original shows are canceled without a chance to prove themselves.

In summation, fuck you FOX and fuck anyone involved in this Napoleon Dynamite idea. Fuck you all right in the fucking face.

P.S. Nothing against anyone who likes Napoleon Dynamite. To each his/her own and all that.

MAgnum9987 and LifeinthePond like this.
  6. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I'm just impressed with the range that Jon Heder has.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

The movie was not only a bad idea, but one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. The fact that they even considered a cartoon and then went ahead with it is more proof that Fox makes some of the worst programming decisions on the face of the earth (let's not forget, they cancelled Family Guy....TWICE).

8. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I actually like the movie...but I think an animated series will fail, and I have no interest in watching it at all.

CaptainObvious likes this.
  9. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

So did I, I actually liked it but I think this will be a flop.

AnitaKnapp likes this.
  10. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm just going to point out that this "bad idea" made around $50,000,000 (Fifty Million Dollars) while only costing around $400,000. That's one heck of a return on investment if you ask me (and anybody really).

Sign me up for a piece of that bad idea. That's all I'm saying. Film making as a business is not as much about art, writing, acting ability or production quality as it is appealing to pop culture. The fact of the matter is that Napoleon Dynamite was one of the most successful and profitable movies of all time if you compare budget to profits.

I don't think Fox is making a terrible decision by going forward with a TV show. I am undecided as to whether or not it will be successful, and I think they should have moved on this 6 years ago if they were going to at all, but I don't think anybody expected the movie to be as successful as it was either. I think the show certainly has a good thing going for it. If done right, and the key word being "right", this could be a successful show. Personally I think it will fail because there's only so much that can be combined with "gosh" and "bo-staff" before it gets old.

I didn't think a sequel had much of a shot at success, but an animated 24 minute show? Who knows. It could work. Sadly (albeit hilariously ironic), each individual episode would probably need more of a plot than the entire movie in order for the show to be accepted by audiences. Let's face it, the average Spongebob episode has a better plot than Napoleon Dynamite. :lol:

Oh, and for the record, I absolutely hated, despised, loathed (etc) Napoleon Dynamite the first time I watched it at a friends house. I remember thinking this particular friend had to be a complete moron in order to enjoy this, and I could hardly believe he invited fellow 20+ year old friends over to watch it. Long story short, I now think it's hilariously brilliant. The humor is almost 100% in the irony of the characters and the situations they find themselves in. Everybody can relate to this movie on some level if they give it a chance. A lot of the humor isn't very direct at all. It's very subtle and in many cases purposely hidden. If I can absolutely hate a movie the first time I watch it, and yet love it the second time, that says something about the movie and its ability to draw even those who hated it in for a second (and third) viewing. I have probably seen it 4 times by now. I suppose, like many fine things in life, that it is an acquired taste.

:hat:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010