Naming your Children

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ysabel, Sep 29, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

How did you pick your children's names? Was it easy? Did you and your partner agree with it right away?

For those without kids and clicked on this thread: Do you already have preferences on how you'd name your child in the future?

Bliss likes this.

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

My oldest 'Jodi' came about from a doll I had by the same name when I was a little girl.
    My middle girl 'Gina' was a mutual decision. Her dad is very italian and wanted something fitting.
    My youngest 'Samantha' I agreed to because I love the name. I think he wanted it because he knew he'd never have a junior and his name is Sam.:lol:

Bliss likes this.
  3. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Me and my wife already had names picked for our kids, both boys and girls names just to be on the safe side. So our kids already had their names by time they were born.

Bliss likes this.
  4. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

For my little girl we had 3 names in mind Erin,Bethany or faith,we finally decided on Erin,and let our eldest choose between Bethany and Faith as her middle name.
    It made her feel so grown up to be choosing a name for her baby sister,thats how we got Erin Faith!.

My boys name was mentioned in the first week of the pregnancy i have always liked the name and so did she,i dont think we even considered another name apart from Connor

Bliss likes this.
  5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

That's a great idea. :lol:

My first, Kevin, has 3 names. We picked a name that won't be too difficult to spell nor pronounce for anglophones/francophones. It's also an Irish name, which pleased my grandma. Plus it happens that the feast day of St. Kevin (yeah, we're big on calendar saints here in France) is the same as my husband's birthday. His second and third name is after his greatgrandfathers (mine and my husband's side). There's a tradition in the family about naming first born son of first born son of first born son...:blah: in the same manner (Louis).

Since Kevin started the whole 3-name thing, his sisters have the same although we just call them by their first names: Angeli (because I just love the name and the moment I was pregnant, I knew I was going to have a girl and her name would be this) and Gwenna (to be close to our celtic roots). We would have used their second names, Yvonne and Ysabel, as their first if they were twins (but Gwenna came out 18 months later). :p

6. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

My oldest I just though of Haylee one day and loved it and Kyle didn't really care, so I picked it. I did spell it "lee" after me (Kimberlee) and my name is spelled "lee" after my Grandpa who's middle name was Lee. Her middle name is Ann after my mom.

The middle child, Kyle picked out and wanted for his first son from before we got married. His name is Kyler (Kyle Jr, but without the Jr), and middle name of Richard after Kyle's grandpa.

Last child, Kyle wanted his dad's name, Stephen, for the middle name, but we couldn't decide on a first name. Everything Kyle threw out I didn't like and vice versa. I really liked the name Ian, but couldn't name him Ian Stephen (too Rhymey) and couldn't convince Kyle to give him 3 names (Ian Robert Stephen). Then one day, we were watching Scrubs and one of the doctor's last names is Dorian and I really liked that, so we picked it (this was about 2 months before he was born). I call him Ian for short, but his full name together is Dorian Stephen, which I like together.

And there is way more information then you all wanted to know, I'm sure.

Bliss likes this.
  7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I liked the story. When I was young I never gave much thought to thinking about family heritage when giving names. I think I just wanted to name my child Cyndi after Cyndi Lauper. :lol:

I see you did it too, giving more than one name and recognising the relationships with your families (ancestors, lol). Btw, Kevin's name was finalised two weeks before his birth, Angeli had hers since conception, and Gwenna got hers a few hours after she was born.

8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

If I ever have a boy I'd probably want to give him my middle name for his first name. I'm not sure about girls names, but there are some I prefer over others.

Bliss likes this.
  9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

We did that too, meaning involving the older sibling to "participate" in looking for a name. My youngest had a fetus name (it was the name we called her for the entire pregnancy instead of referring to it as "the baby") and my 4yo son chose it for her. We almost made it one of her real names when she came out but it's not exactly a serious name.

10. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I picked Delaney because I wanted either a Celtic/Gaelic name or an Italian name. The only Italian names I like for girls are Gianna and Bianca. I have a cousin named Gianna, and Bianca is too close to Delaney's last name, so I went with the Gaelic name that I liked best. Her dad wanted to name her Deena but I shot that down. Her middle name is after her great grandmother on her dad's side.

I found a baby name origin website that says Delaney means "child of dark defiance" :lol:

Bliss likes this.