• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo 64 N64 vs orignal Playstation who had the better graphics?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
RossDude said:
Mario Kart always seemed more fair, so it was more fun to play.
Mario Kart isn't fair at all. It's pretty much impossible to pull away from the pack, especially on 150cc. You can hit someone with a shell or something and they'll be right back on your tail in 3 seconds. You can have a perfect race and everybody else could spin out 10 times and they'll still finish right behind you, if not in front. I think they could have done a better job at making the game more difficult without making the AI cheat. All that does is make the game frustrating.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
Mario Kart isn't fair at all. It's pretty much impossible to pull away from the pack, especially on 150cc. You can hit someone with a shell or something and they'll be right back on your tail in 3 seconds. You can have a perfect race and everybody else could spin out 10 times and they'll still finish right behind you, if not in front. I think they could have done a better job at making the game more difficult without making the AI cheat. All that does is make the game frustrating.
Thats happened in all Mario Kart games... its sorta a staple of the series.

In the orinigal, if you hit the second place driver, they get this extra speed boost and allt he other competitors slow down (though you can outrun them if you know where to place items)

games later in the series made it a bit tougher, but people in 2-8th place get alot better items than 1st. thats the way its always been.

Hm, I don't remember it being THAT hard. I do remember it being hard, but not cheap. I always thought it was a good challenge, whereas I found DKR to be cheap, in the same way you talked about MK being cheap. Maybe my memory is just too fuzzy, though.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
SamusAran86 said:
Thats happened in all Mario Kart games... its sorta a staple of the series.

In the orinigal, if you hit the second place driver, they get this extra speed boost and allt he other competitors slow down (though you can outrun them if you know where to place items)

games later in the series made it a bit tougher, but people in 2-8th place get alot better items than 1st. thats the way its always been.
Yeah, it did happen in the original, but not nearly as extreme as MK64. Same with DKR. You can hardly notice any cheating in that game, and you're actually rewarded for good racing. MK64 is mostly luck on the harder difficulties.

bgeezyrepping33

I just want to make a few points. First, I don't even see why this is a topic. The PS1 had terrible graphics. I remember people talking about this when they were actually being played and it amazed me how anyone could even conceive the thought that the PS1 graphics were even competition. That pixelation was terrible. Next, MK cheated, period. Next, I loved the nintendo controller. To me it is the best controller of all time. All the buttons were in reach and it was comfortable. Everyone I know agrees with me except the Sony faithful (they are a strange group). Finally, I was looking at that show Filter on G4tv. They ranked the best consoles. #2 was the super nintendo, #1 was the N64. Who can disagree with that (just a statement, not a challenge).

Pianobone

Registered Member
Playstation controllers are made for midget eskimos with tiny hands. That's all I have to say on the matter, and is why I will never buy a Sony system.

While I don't know about the midget eskimos part, I will agree that the PS controller is uncomfortable. I really really hate the D-pad and I really really wish they'd replace it with the left thumb stick. Having the two sticks where they are now is very uncomfortable, and it looks like it will be worse for the PS3 controllers.

Pianobone

Registered Member
Sorry guys, I started a tangent there. While the controller is horrible, the graphics of the PS1 could never compare to the N64. Sure, PS had some good looking games, but the N64 had a lot of good looking games by comparison.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
N64 all the way. And not just because I'm not a playstation player. I like the bright clear colors that N64 had and I always thought that every game on playstation looked kind of dark and muddy. It's almost like the difference between a 3-chip and 1-chip digital camera (N64 ~ 3 , PS ~ 1).

Gamechamp

Registered Member
N64. It was a hard choice, I really liked PS1 graphics, but the N64 wins in the end.