N. Korea Warns of Nuclear War

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by icegoat63, Jun 14, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Ok so that didn't take long, just yesterday they defy the UN by saying they are "weaponizing" their Plutonium... Now they've puffed their chests out Further by releasing this:

In all honesty... I dont believe we're giving N. Korea the respect it deserves. I hear all to often that "They are behind in Military standards" "they are just a tiny Nation whats there to worry about"... things like that, well to be honest, its the maniac things like this that really bother me.

Do you think N. Korea will actually try to find some reason to push the button and let one of their nukes off the chain?

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I couldn't agree more, the fact that he's a madman is disconcerting. Isn't it scarier to get into a fight with a crazy guy than with some guy who looks reasonable just pissed off? I'd rather be in a room with a pissed off guy my size but is a normal guy than with Charles Manson.

That being said, I do think they will push the button. This is a situation that needs to be dealt with delicately but soon.

3. icegoat63

I couldnt agree more. Very Very Soon... Like I'm talking Splinter Cell in his closet tonight soon.

I think what bothers me is, I've been following alot of the actions going on in N. Korea. And one thing is certain... they may be calling this release "A Warning"... but from what I've seen come from N. Korea... this is no Warning..... This is a Promise.

And that scares the shit out of me to be honest. I mean they warned that they were going to do the Missile test. Then they did it. They warned that they would rally troops. Then they did it. They warned they wouldn't allow UN Sanctions to stop their production of Nuclear War Heads. Then they did it. They warned about a Nuclear War. And yet we still dont believe 'em. What the hell is wrong with this picture?

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Come on though. Hope and change can solve this. All that needs to happen is somebody needs to sit down with Mr. Kim and explain to him how nuclear war would be a big no no. Then they need to ask him nicely if he will go sit in a time out corner for 15 minutes and then see if he still wants to blow up the world.

There's no reason to believe that wouldn't work. The bad things in history will never happen again. We are living in a world that is immune from any hurt and destruction now. Didn't you know? Now, when does the next American Idol start? Did you see Saturday Night Live last week? Good stuff! I'll be back in a bit. I am going to go sit in Starbucks with my laptop and iPod for a few hours. :nod:

:urp:

5. gusto

gusto Registered Member

I figure it's a bluff. They must surely know that the day they even set that missle up to be fired their reign is over. The Americans have enough naval power in the area to obliterate the North Koreans and I don't doubt they will use it if push comes to shove. One thing is absolutely clear. The North Korean regime has got to go. When they start to threaten the world with their crazyness it's time to put an end to it. I'm very sorry that so many innocent people will have to be killed but that seems to be the way of the world.

6. icegoat63

Thats sort of what I thought when they warned that they were going to do their Missile Test.

http://www.generalforum.com/political-news/n-korea-launches-rocket-56960.html

then they did it without any reprecussions...

then they did it again....

http://www.generalforum.com/political-news/north-korea-launches-another-missile-59007.html

I mean at what point do we actually step in here?

~~~~~~

I had to laugh because I ran a search here at GF for "N.Korea" and check out what I found....

6-17-2006
    http://www.generalforum.com/law-political-theory/north-korea-warned-over-provocative-test-17114.html

US and Japan ask N. Korea to not test fire a long range missle....

7-4-2006
    http://www.generalforum.com/law-political-theory/north-korea-tests-long-range-missile-17411.html

N. Korea test fires it anyway.....

7-3-2006
    http://www.generalforum.com/law-political-theory/n-korea-threatens-u-s-nuclear-war-17375.html

"North Korea would respond to a pre-emptive U.S. military attack with an "annihilating strike and a nuclear war,"

10-9-2006
    http://www.generalforum.com/political-news/north-korea-successfully-tests-nuke-4892.html

N. Korea claims they've successfully test fired a nuke.
    ~~~~~

So seriously? is this just a game that N. Korea likes to play or something?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  7. Sim

Sim Registered Member

North Korea is almost broke and at the brink of collapse. The nuclear program is their last chance to put something on the table the West is willing to bargain for, which might allow them to get something in return from the West that allows them to maintain their rule for a few more years.

I think it's usually not wise to label anyone who disagrees with America's foreign policy "a madman". That's too simplistic a worldview. The North Korean leadership certainly is not that of a free state, and well possible there are mentally questionable streaks on their side too, but I am sure that they are not suicidal. They would not push the button, because they know the following retaliation would turn their entire country into glass within minutes. All they want is pressing another round of financial aid out of their program.

8. CaptainObvious

The reason for disagreeing with America is not why he's a madman, Chirac and many other world leaders disagreed with our going to Iraq, that doesn't make them mad. He's mad because he doesn't care, and is willing to fire a nuclear weapon and kill millions of people just because he wants to. I don't think it's wise to take his threats so nonchalantly.

9. Sim

Sim Registered Member

As far as I know, Kim Jong Il is not an absolute dictator, but there is a huge bureaucracy involved in the decision making process there. That means the possible actual craziness of a single leader is balanced by the decisions of other people, bureaucrats -- who in case of North Korea are probably smart enough to know a first strike on the US is the least thing that's in North Korea's and their own interest.

The threat of retaliation worked for 40 years against the USSR, and the USSR were by far stronger than North Korea, they had a thousand times more nukes pointing towards the US than North Korea will ever have, they had ten times the number of people and were economically in a much better position too. So when the threat of retaliation worked against the USSR, I see no reason why it shouldn't even work better against North Korea.

10. CaptainObvious

I'm not so sure the first strike would be levied against the US, it could be levied against anyone just to get a reaction.