• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

N.C. bill would make it a felony to disclose fracking chemicals

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
People who disclose confidential information about hydraulic fracturing chemicals in North Carolina would be subject to criminal penalties and civil damages, under a bill in the state Legislature.

HYDRAULIC FRACTURING: N.C. bill would make it a felony to disclose fracking chemicals -- Friday, May 16, 2014 -- www.eenews.net
This is the stupidest law I have ever heard of. I think the public has the right to know what kind of chemicals they are using. Makes me wonder why they want this information hid and what their motivation is for introducing a bill like this. Are these chemicals so lethal they feel like they shouldn't be shared with the public? If that is the case why are they using them to begin with?

Thoughts?

NC Republicans want prison time for revealing what frackers are pumping into the ground

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This is what happens when you let corporations rule the country, which the GOP is all too eager to let the dirty energy corporations do.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
You know republican or not I don't see how anyone could be okay with a law like this. The only reason I can think of to pass such a law is to protect the oil companies. If you don't know the chemicals used in fracking how could you prove your water was polluted by it so no lawsuit.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
This is what happens when you let corporations rule the country, which the GOP is all too eager to let the dirty energy corporations do.
I disagree. This goes towards Intellectual Property Law. Fracking fluid is made up of 99% water and sand and contain some ethylene or glycol, or other chemicals. If I develop a mixture that is approved for use by the FDA that is my intellectual property, and the disclosure could be a violation of my rights. I'm not saying there couldn't be a better way around this, but to demonize a political party because of this isn't fair. There has to be a balancing between the disclosure to the FDA to protect my intellectual property rights and the safety of the citizenry.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
First off, that article was poorly written. It mentions trade secrets once but largely ignores this main point. The title is so misleading.

As long as chemicals being used are cleared with the proper authorities (not sure who that might be and I didn't see this article call this out at all unless I missed it), I don't see a problem. So this articles failed to cover what the current approval process is, and whether or not this bill affects that regulation.

To me, this article just seems to leave out relevant information. Typical political hackery.

Companies have a right to keep their trade secrets. Should there be some kind of regulation? Sure. Should it be public information? Probably not if the company deems it confidential. But this point is not addressed much by the author.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
This is like the government mandating Kentucky Fried Chicken or Coca-Cola disclose their ingredients, or if someone employed by them discloses that information there would be no repercussions, thus destroying intellectual property (in other words authors and musicians wouldn't even have rights to their own work) and destroying the free market. I agree with Van, this article is very poorly written and leaves out TONS of information. I'm not surprised, considering the source.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
As long as chemicals being used are cleared with the proper authorities (not sure who that might be and I didn't see this article call this out at all unless I missed it), I don't see a problem.
Right. Because everything that is cleared by the proper authorities is obviously safe. Google Corexit.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Maybe they shouldn't have to disclose their exact formula but they should have to tell you what is in it.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Right. Because everything that is cleared by the proper authorities is obviously safe. Google Corexit.
So we want government regulation then don't trust that government regulation? So we want OSHA but then don't trust OSHA?

And I could say the same thing. Because the Republican Party is all for corporations taking over, impugning all Republicans and all corporations. Right.
------
Maybe they shouldn't have to disclose their exact formula but they should have to tell you what is in it.
Isn't that disclosing their exact formula?

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
First off, that article was poorly written. It mentions trade secrets once but largely ignores this main point. The title is so misleading.

As long as chemicals being used are cleared with the proper authorities (not sure who that might be and I didn't see this article call this out at all unless I missed it), I don't see a problem. So this articles failed to cover what the current approval process is, and whether or not this bill affects that regulation.

To me, this article just seems to leave out relevant information. Typical political hackery.

Companies have a right to keep their trade secrets. Should there be some kind of regulation? Sure. Should it be public information? Probably not if the company deems it confidential. But this point is not addressed much by the author.
I have to agree with this. If something is confidential to a company then it's confidential, it shouldn't have to be made public information so long as it's been cleared by the authorities.

And most things that the authorities decide not to clear aren't safe so... What exactly are you saying here?

If they tell you what's in it then that's disclosing the formula. I realize that there's a certain amount of each ingredient/chemical but I think any smart person would be able to figure that out if they were already given a list of ingredients used.