• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mysticism

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I thought it would be nice to branch off slightly from mainframe religions and focus on their mystical teachings instead.
What are your general thoughts about mysticism?

Mysticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
wiki said:
Mysticism (from the Greek μυστικός, mystikos, an initiate of a mystery religion)[1] is the pursuit of communion with, identity with, or conscious awareness of an ultimate reality, divinity, spiritual truth, or God through direct experience, intuition, instinct or insight. Mysticism usually centers on a practice or practices intended to nurture those experiences or awareness. Mysticism may be dualistic, maintaining a distinction between the self and the divine, or may be nondualistic.

Have/Would you ever delve/d into any mystic branch?

If you are interested in learning a certain branch of mysticism, perhaps we could make some sort of discussion going on what we've learned. Anyone up for that?

Bjarki

Registered Member
I wouldn't mind, sounds like a fun activity. But what purpose do you have in mind? Gaining knowledge about them or actual practice??

Which branch do you have in mind?
Some of them sound rather hocus pocus (Wicca?). While some may be hard to get into. Tibetan buddhism for example.. I read some texts about that a year ago, but that's some seriously difficult material. Same goes for stuff like Orthodox Hesychasm, which is mostly a medieval thing (?) and the language is also problematic.
Kabbalah sounds nice, but you'd be way ahead of me on that one I presume..

I'm not sure how well your knowledge is of Christian mysticism, but perhaps it's more accesible for most people here (compared to Islamic or jewish teachings). Dionysian Greek mythology is also interesting.. so is Taoism and Zen IMO.
Freemasonry might be something I like to know more about..

Is there any branch you'd like Boredie? As you can see.. for me it's pretty much all interesting.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Ive been reading a little bit on but far from understand the details of quantum mysticism. Im not sure if you class that under the mystic banner but it is a fascinating subject.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I wouldn't mind, sounds like a fun activity. But what purpose do you have in mind? Gaining knowledge about them or actual practice??
Just for knowledge purposes.

Which branch do you have in mind?
Some of them sound rather hocus pocus (Wicca?). While some may be hard to get into. Tibetan buddhism for example.. I read some texts about that a year ago, but that's some seriously difficult material. Same goes for stuff like Orthodox Hesychasm, which is mostly a medieval thing (?) and the language is also problematic.
Kabbalah sounds nice, but you'd be way ahead of me on that one I presume..
At first I thought anyone can pick the one that seems interesting to them and then just compare notes between each teachings.
I've never studied any branch of mysticism. Though Kaballah has always fascinated me (as it is closest to my own religion), I always felt it (and other branches of mysticism quite beyond my comprehension. But lately I've been thinking about it more, and I dare say I am eager to dip my feet in the mystic pool.

Freemasonry might be something I like to know more about..
Yes, I'd like to know more about that too.

Is there any branch you'd like Boredie? As you can see.. for me it's pretty much all interesting.[/quote]
I'm quite open to suggestions, as you probably guessed Kaballah would be a high possibility, but I won't dismiss anything else if there are others who are interested in different branches, and as mentioned above Freemasonry is also an interesting branch, imo.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Oooh, fun exercise Boredie. I would be up for this. A lot of those things have interested me in the past (not to practice though, just from a learning point of view). I have always been very interested in Greek Mythology.

I love how there is a section for the Occult and Taoism under a different "belief".

What about scientology? Does that not get categorized under this umbrella?

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Ive been reading a little bit on but far from understand the details of quantum mysticism. Im not sure if you class that under the mystic banner but it is a fascinating subject.
It seems to me from the little that I've read about this, that in its essence it doesn't differ in general from other branches of mysticism. :)
------
I love how there is a section for the Occult and Taoism under a different "belief".
Occult basically means hidden knowledge. Basically occult mysticism delves into a deeper spiritual reality that extends beyond pure reason and the physical sciences.
Taoism is a branch of mysticism that delves into nature and the relationship of man with the cosmos.

What about scientology? Does that not get categorized under this umbrella?
As far as I understand, Scientology is regarded as a religion. I might be wrong though.

Last edited:

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
How did Yoga fall under this list? It doesn't make sense to me.
This is what I picked up from wiki about the goals of yoga:
The goals of yoga are varied and range from improving health to achieving Moksha.[41] Within Jainism and the monist schools of Advaita Vedanta and Shaivism, the goal of yoga takes the form of Moksha, which is liberation from all worldly suffering and the cycle of birth and death (Samsara), at which point there is a realisation of identity with the Supreme Brahman. In the Mahabharata, the goal of yoga is variously described as entering the world of Brahma, as Brahman, or as perceiving the Brahman or Atman that pervades all things.[93] For the bhakti schools of Vaishnavism, bhakti or service to Svayam bhagavan itself may be the ultimate goal of the yoga process, where the goal is to enjoy an eternal relationship with Vishnu.[94]
The bolded section is how it is related to mysticism.
Perhaps you can shed more light on the subject, assuming you know more about it?

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I suppose the Yoga described is the way of the Yogi (sage).

The only Yoga I know and practice are the exercises. As far as I know, Yoga has got nothing to do with religion. The goals and the gods mentioned are from Hinduism. Since Yoga originated in India and the vast majority of the population were Hindus, it makes sense if religion was integrated with Yoga. This isn't Yoga in the modern context.

Bjarki

Registered Member
At first I thought anyone can pick the one that seems interesting to them and then just compare notes between each teachings.
I've never studied any branch of mysticism. Though Kaballah has always fascinated me (as it is closest to my own religion), I always felt it (and other branches of mysticism quite beyond my comprehension. But lately I've been thinking about it more, and I dare say I am eager to dip my feet in the mystic pool.
If you want to go a little further than wikipedia-knowledge I suppose you'd have to pick a single one out to get a deeper understanding of the real spiritual worth of these teachings.

I kinda like the idea of delving into a particular branch together with a few other GF'ers to learn more about it and exchange opinions and thoughts about that particular current. It may become a little chaotic to compare several branches with one another and I doubt it's easy to explain the spiritual value of them to others who are not at all familiar with this current of thought.

Last edited: