• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mystery of the exploding pig farms

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Global Post...Pig farming doesn't have a lot going for it, aesthetically. There's the smell.
There's the pollution and waste.
There's all the slaughter, of course.
And now, apparently, there's the mysterious foam that traps methane and then explodes, killing thousands of pigs and injuring humans. Read More Here
Can you imagine having your business explode killing all your pigs and possibly you? I never knew this was a problem but I don't raise pigs. This is something they need to come up with a remedy for other than stop raising pigs, love that bacon.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Pig farms are disgusting. In Australia at the moment we are having massive issues with pig farms. There has been a call to install CCTV cameras in every pig farm since some footage has been leaked of people torturing the pigs while they think no one is looking. Bashing them with sledgehammers etc.

What I find ironic is how much people freak out about this. Whenever new stories come on TV of animals being mistreated in farms and abattoirs peoples always seem surprised by it. I'm never surprised. It's a slaughterhouse, it's a horrible place and will always be a horrible place. What did they expect goes on there? Singing and dancing?

Now the pigs are having to live in such dirty conditions, that they live among substances that will explode at the drop of a hat? That sounds toxic to me. The poor things. I'm glad I don't eat meat, you just never know fur sure where it comes from, unless you kill it yourself.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know what you mean Crouton about how animals are treated and the conditions they live in on some of these farms. These usually are corporate farms where they have thousands of animals not the mom and pop farms where you might be talking about a hundred animals.

We use to have cattle and we didn't treat them like that. They were taken care of and not put in little pens where they didn't have enough room to turn around. We didn't abuse them in any way. Yes they were sent to the slaughter house, that is what you do with livestock and I hated to do it to them. I think the slaughter houses should be under constant supervision to make sure they are being killed as humanly as possible and things are kept clean.

Even vegetarians have to watch it too. You never know what has been sprayed on those vegetables or what type of bacteria has come in contact with it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
That's the thing though, it's the exact same issue with meat as with fruit and vegetables. My family tried to buy all our fruit and vegetables from farmers markets. Markets where local farmers from the region set up stalls and sell their own home-grown produce. I hardly ever buy fruit and veg from the huge big chain supermarkets because you never know where it came from. Probably those huge farms with heaps of pesticides.

It's the same with meat. I watched a documentary on it once. The demand for meat is just so high that the industry can't afford to be humane. There are still farmers left in the world who do it properly. They take care of their animals like family, they feed them right, let them roam in huge paddocks, and when it comes to the slaughter they personally do it as humanely as possible. But the problem with all this extra time and care is that the meat ends up being more expensive. And since most people are tight-asses or just can't afford it, then no one is buying it.

Because of the price and the sheer demand for meat, the industry has turned to factory farming. The more and more factory farms that open, the less good farmers there are. The small farmers are going out of business because people want to buy the cheap mass-produced meat instead. It's such a vicious cycle.

And you never know for sure where it comes from. When you are in cafe's, restaurants, even buying things in supermarkets etc, you often don't know if the meat you eat was factory farmed or not. That's one of the reasons I became vegetarian. I'd rather eat no meat at all than accidently eat meat that was mass-produced on a factory farm.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I understand what you are saying. I have problems wondering about what kind of conditions my food is being raised. Even the vegies, if your having to buy canned because you can't get fresh, how sanitary is the cannery? Too many times people have gotten sick from canned food. I also try to buy from farmers but you can't always do that and so much of the stuff you get in a grocery store is sprayed with preservatives. Which if it wasn't it would last very long.

I think sometimes if it wasn't for my family I would also be a vegetarian unless I raised the meat myself. Which my problem with raising the animal myself and killing it I see all animals as potential pets. That's how I ended up with a 2000 pound bull as a pet. People would freak out when the saw me brushing him and putting fly repellant on him just like I do for my horses.lol It killed me to sell him but I knew without cows he would not be happy and I made sure he went to a good farm.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I find the whole evolution of domesticated animals very interesting. For example, most people are fine with killing pigs for food, but if you mention eating dog or cat meat to any Westerner the result is usually outrage. Why though? What makes it so different? To me it's basically all the same.

Imagine if humans first domesticated pigs as household pets instead of dogs, and all over the world there were factory farms with millions of dogs being fattened and raised for slaughter. No one would care because it's what they are used to. Pigs have actually been proven to be as intelligent as a 3 year old human child, and smarter than most breeds of domesticated dog today. They are social, can be trained, are clean and would make great pets. History could have been so different for them, but they ended up with the short end of the stick.

Now they are seen as items, as products more than actual living creatures. It's such a shame.

I couldn't even imagine giving away an animal for slaughter. If I ever raised a cow, pig, chicken etc. Anything at all I would form a bond with it and want to keep it. To me it's all the same, chicken, cat, dog, cow, whale, fish, pig etc. If I won't eat one, why would I eat the other?