• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mystery Auctions

technoflutemom

Registered Member
How do you feel about mystery auctions? I know alot of sellers hate them and think they cheapen the ebay marketplace, but I think they are a neat idea.

I've never sold one or bid on one, as I don't want to ask for that much trouble, but I do think they are neat.

technoflutemom

Registered Member
I can see bidding on one if you realize that you are going to get junk. Anything besides junk, you should look at as a bonus.

People think they are going to get priceless treasures, though, then are disappointed.

I can see putting together a "grab bag" of odd lots if you sold things like craft supplies.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think they are a joke and an easy way for people to pull a past one on their bidders. I would NEVER under any circumstance try to win one.

palefrost

Registered Member
I think they are a joke and an easy way for people to pull a past one on their bidders. I would NEVER under any circumstance try to win one.
I feel the same way. I find them annoying. I recently got burned on buying a grab bag book lot. It was a sorted lot of books that equaled 3 pounds and i got a bunch of junky books. :-/ Since then if the item is not clearly detailed i wont even look at it.

karenlyn

Registered Member
I don't think anybody could possibly believe they'd get anything worthwhile from one of these auctions. I mean, it IS kinda a fun idea... it might be fun just to see what junk they send you. But the reason people would do these auctions is because what they have isn't good enough to sell legitimately. Don't people see that?

Plumley

Registered Member
I tend to agree with other posters and wouldn't bid on a mystery auction. It seems like a great way for sellers to get rid of something they couldn't sell otherwise. The idea is kind of fun but I'm reluctant to try it in practice.

Melos

Registered Member
I've done 'mystery boxes' of craft supplies before, and my buyers were quite hapy with what they got. But... they general knew what they were getting.
What I don't get is these "cash envelope" mystery auctions where the person will send you cash in an envelope. How can it ever be more than you paid for it? That's just silly.

katharina

Registered Member
What I don't get is these "cash envelope" mystery auctions where the person will send you cash in an envelope. How can it ever be more than you paid for it? That's just silly.
I haven't heard of this one... it's actually a bid for an envelope with cash and people think they could get more than they paid? Or did I miss something? :) If I didn't, I certainly agree with the "silly" statement!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
There was one a few years ago that went for a few thousand dollars but that's because it was a novelty at the time, and a new concept. Lots of people found it fun and just wanted to be the winner.

The guy who sold the first "Mystery Envelope" posted about it here on AuctionForum.com back when he did it and he said he did get paid. He never said what was in the envelope though.