• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mysterious Hot Smoking Sinkholes

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Residents of a small village in eastern India are terrified as mysterious sinkholes emitting smoke, ashes, gas and heat are popping open all over the area. Witnesses say the soil is burning, liquid in the holes is bubbling and leaves placed near them burst into flames. Have the gates of hell opened in Old Wahong Village?
http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/07/mysterious-hot-smoking-sinkholes-open-in-indian-village/

This probably has something to do with the tectonic plates but still it is strange. They say it smells like garlic pickles, weird, and its dark maroon in color. One hole was discovered because a 16 year old boy's foot sunk in the ground burning him badly, then two weeks later villagers went back and found a sink hole 30 foot across. Are we seeing the beginning of an event involving tectonics or has this been going on all along but no one noticed until now.

Thoughts?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Its probaly an underground fire that started in an old coal mine and spread. They are also in Xinjiang Uyghur China near Urumqi and Pennsylvania USA. They can be as hot as 1,000 degrees F or more and can burn other stuff too so the smell is probaly whatevers burning with the coal.

Its all about something they did to treat the coal underground that made it seriously flammable so now lightning or even just a cigarette can start a underground fire. And they can happen anywhere that had coal mining and didnt close the mines properly and that tons of places all over the planet.

Also the sinkholes can release gasses that make people sick since other chemicals are burning in the fires.
Burning Chinese sinkhole
Burning Pennsylvania sinkhole

Imo they should extinguish the fires and close the mines but they say it would be too much work and too expensive.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Sexy thread title lol

Crazy story though. I feel like I've heard of random sinkholes under a golf course recently, too. @Dr4gon 's information about the coal sounds about right...sinkholes are natural but you have to be careful with the environment...if this is really caused by old mines it's an example of why proper regulations are so necessary.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I never thought about a coal mine, India has a lot of them, some illegal, so I would say that is highly likely. But I wonder what caused the mud volcano. That happened in a neighboring village a few years ago.

After reading this I bet it is a coal mine fire. This fire is located in northeast India, the burning sink holes are also located in NE India.

The village which has burned for 99 years: Toxic fumes constantly fill the air and 250 houses were once swallowed up by the ground in four hours. But for these Indian families, it's home