• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mysterious giant hole in Siberia

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A mysterious giant hole has appeared in northern Siberia, prompting wild speculation about meteors, UFOs, and underground cities.

Mysterious giant hole in Siberia likely caused by global warming, not UFOs or meteors
This is a really big hole, 260 ft across. One man thinks this was caused by a phenomenon called pingo, basically a block of ice that melted away leaving this hole. There are signs there was an explosion though so I don't think it just melted away. Scientists are on their way there to find out what caused this so hopefully we will know soon.

If this was caused by global warming I wonder if there will be more of them, it was suggested it could happen, or if they could add to the warming problem. This took place near a gas field so I'm thinking methane could be involved.

Thoughts?

Taliesin

Registered Member
I'm thinking along the same lines as you, Hi. Perhaps it has something to do with that gas field, and less to do with UFOs and whatnot. I'm well familiar with the "hollow earth" theory, and while that's an attractive prospect for a science fiction film, we don't live in a science fiction film! Very cool find though, don't you think? It'll be interesting to see what those scientists make of it...

dDave

V.I.P.
Never underestimate the erosive potential of large amounts of ice.

If there was a sudden explosion then there definitely would have been tremors measured on the Richter scale. Gas sounds like it could be a good explanation (if it was gas then it will still be present in trace amounts in all likelihood)

It's also possible that there's an empty caldera or batholith that collapsed.

Hollow earth theory? Yeah, no. Go study P and S waves caused by earthquakes, literally all you need to know to prove the earth is not hollow. I would even go so far as to say that it's impossible based on the science we understand.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
No I don't believe in the hollow earth theory either. I think that theory is kind of ridiculous. I have a feeling gas was behind this since it doesn't appear it just melted away but exploded.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
When did they move the Yamal Peninsula to Siberia? :-o Its suppose to be in the Ural. Oh the article was in the Siberian Times... never mind... LOL!

I vote for a methane gas bubble explosion. Theres tons of those white bubbles under the ice all over Yamal and the permafrost has been thawing so... Also the hole is round and clean and thats how a hole would look after a methan bubble explodes. But it would have to be a massive bubble to make a hole that huge!
I wonder if all those oil rigs all over the peninsula could make enough heat underground to cause the methane bubbles to explode...

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know what caused it to explode but they are saying global warming. If that is so we may see more of these. I hope oil rigs didn't have anything to do with it.

Last edited:

danwiz

Registered Member
Supposedly the Russians were sending a research team to the one in Siberia. If anybody sees any follow-up on this research PLEASE post it here -not sure that our "News Sites" will consider the answer as intriguing as they should!

Thanks in advance.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I will be watching this closely in the Russian and western media. And I will definitely be posting anything new about these holes.
Both of the holes are in the same region and they both have icy lakes at their bases. The conclusion is that the holes were made by methane bubble explosions and that more could be found later.
Both holes were probaly caused by gas explosions underground

Alph0x

Registered Member
Pretty interesting reading. Maybe they'll also find Jimmy Hoffa down there, right? :lol: In all seriousness, I can't begin to pretend that I have any idea what the cause would be, but the methane explosion sounds possible. Although, it does look like a sinkhole to me, especially with water underneath. I suppose it is less likely to be a sinkhole if the water below is frozen, but..hopefully we have an actual answer soon!