• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mysteries of the Human Psyche: Killing Humans vs. Killing Animals

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
This thread was inspired by this one: 4chan goes vigilante on cat abuser (Check it out and reply!)

My question to you my fellow GFers, is how can you explain this contradiction of beliefs amongst our race? We kill each other on a daily basis and sure we get offended and sickened by what we do to each other, but I have never seen such animosity as that saved for animal killers, abusers, and such. I wonder where this duality in human thought comes from.

Like I said, I understand that plenty of people get angered at killing of all kinds but why does it hurt people so deeply when animals are involved? Some people are even more angered with people killing animals than people killing people!

What do you think?

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I think its something to do with the fact that animals are much simpler creatures than human beings. They act on instinct. Humans have a clear advantage over them, so I think maybe this is a case of feeling sorry for the underdog (or cat :rolleyes:) here.

Watching someone beat up a cat makes me feel sick because its so defenceless and it can't possibly have done anything to deserve that.

That being said, a lot of human victims are absolutely defenceless/innocent, so it doesn't make all that much sense. I have far more compassion for humans getting hurt than I do for animals.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Do you really though? A lot of people say that but I don't see people getting outraged more often than they should be. I think it's because we're so used to seeing each other get maimed and killed that we've become desensitized towards the idea of people dying but animals we still have a soft spot for.

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
Do you really though? A lot of people say that but I don't see people getting outraged more often than they should be. I think it's because we're so used to seeing each other get maimed and killed that we've become desensitized towards the idea of people dying but animals we still have a soft spot for.
I still think it's a point of killing something that can't fight back, or is cute. Look at the whole Caylee Anthony media shitstorm. Do you think it would have become such a huge deal if it didn't involve a cute little baby girl and her hot mom?

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I suppose so. I was thinking more about individual cases, like that video. If that was a baby instead of a cat then I might just have to hunt them down myself!

I guess it also has a lot to do with the nature of the killing.