Myspace Suicide Case

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Duke1985, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Duke1985

Duke1985 EatsApplePieShitsFreedom

LIVENEWS.com.au > World > Woman pleads not guilty in MySpace suicide case
    This case raises some interesting questions about internet law.
    I'm really not terribly sure how I feel about this case, can we really press charges on someone for being mean if a person kills them self because of it?

I mean a 49 year old woman should have been far more mature than to engage in this, if she is indeed guilty, but at the same time suicide over myspace harassment? Thats a bit of an extreme effect for some malicious emails, she could have just blocked that user. Seems the victim in this case overracted quite a bit.

Discuss.

Sim likes this.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Using the internet to create emotional distress? Shouldn't most of us be in court then?

On the one hand, this is very unfortunate and a terrible situation. You have a suicide and a high profile website involved. I just hope this doesn't turn into one of those stories where crusty sexless mothers start protesting and parading the dangers of Myspace.

-_-

3. RATTIE

RATTIE Registered Member

A supposedly ''mature'' woman bullying and belittling a child?
    There has to be something seriously wrong with her.
    A kid at that age especially is VERY vulnerable, especially if they are low on self esteem to begin with.
    If that's the majority of the feedback the poor kid got then yes, she would have been taking it all in.

Even as adults, if we're fed spite as fact enough then yes, we believe it.

Sim likes this.
  4. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

No reason to blame MySpace for what one user did, and also no reason an adult should be handling things like that.

RATTIE likes this.
  5. RATTIE

RATTIE Registered Member

My Mother always said to other Mothers, they fall out and they'll fall back in.
    We always did!

When parents interfere on trivial matters it only adds fuel to the flame.
    Taking it upon themseves to seek revenge and cause hatred is beyond dispiccable.

6. Duke1985

Regardless if the mother in question here was involved or not, should she be brought up on charges? Should we be able to prosecute people for being mean over the internet?

7. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Absolutely not and I will consider our society a complete and utter failure if that is allowed to be.

8. Duke1985

I personally agree, this woman did do something immature but its hardly her fault this girl took it to that extreme.

Also if this woman is declared guilty we need to throw Nancy Grace up on trial as well.

9. RATTIE

RATTIE Registered Member

There's being mean and there's abuse/severe bullying.

If she specifically sought the girl out as it intimates she did then hell yeah!

10. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

It's not her fault, per say, but this is a reason why people need to realize that what they say do have effects on other people..

RATTIE likes this.