My Views spread...

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Ziggy, May 31, 2008.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Sup?

growing up there were three things I was given food, shelter and the bible. I was told all these amazing stories and was amazed and as i grew up i read through the bible and I never actually understood until i talked to my father and he explained it to me. He said that "It's your choice whether you live by the book or you live life as a sinner" and then i asked my uncle and he gave me a very glib interpretation, he explained hell to me and that kept me on track.

It wasn't up until a couple weeks ago when I was riding the bus home, a bible tucked under my arm that some completley out of the blue asked me "Why?" I was a bit perplexed at first and didn't answer, he took a seat next to me and continued asking "Why do you read that? why don't you make up your own oppion on life instead of force feeding yourself a bunch of bullshit"

He explained to me all the contradictions and problems with the bible, I wasn't even given a chance to reply before he got off the bus.

I don't read my bible anymore, infact I've stopped going to church. I'm torn between my families beliefs and the fact that what I thought was so real may have been just some made of stories.

So what do you think? should I even bother with religion anymore? or should I continue with the one I was given?

2. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Nobody can answer that for you but yourself. You have to be true to what you believe. Questions? Maybe check with your local pastor? Other than that, us telling you what to do isn't going to help because we aren't living your life for you.

3. Jakey-D

Jakey-D Registered Member

I'm not highly religious but I kind of live my life with a knowing smile on the inside because I believe 100% in God. I don't live my life by the bible and I don't go to church but once upon a time I was in a really dark place and pleaded for help. I was answered and since that day their is no argument that can take away my belief in God. The way I see it is that God gave us life and the freedom of choice so if I choose not to read the bible or strictly follow his so called word then he's cool with that. If people choose not to believe in God then that's cool aswell as yet again he gave them the choice.

Regarding your experience...

What I think is that someone was sent deliberately to you that day.

Your faith is being tested.

4. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

agreed.

if you have faith in what you are reading and being taught then stick with it.

A few years ago I was in sort of the same situation but instead of someone else questioning me I did the questioning myself and couldnt really find any reason to keep believing. Especially when there isnt any proof to anything in the bible or anything that it said and taught in church.

but it all comes down to having faith. And it is a decision that you have to make for yourself.

ysabel likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Sup?

I've become heavily interested in world religions and some of the stuff I found was kind of scary at first, like how all religions seem to be exactly the same in the system of their deities.

If my faith is being tested then I have failed because I'm not at a standpoint where i don't believe in god and yet I want to.

6. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

You need to decide for yourself if the bible is a book of stories or a book to live your life by. No one can make the decision for you.

Your father calling you a sinner if you don't read and follow it is complete and total bullshit.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Sup?

I don't blame him for that, he grew up in that time and that's the way he thought he was supposed to live. It's not his fault his father treated him like that so that's how he thought he was supposed to treat me, he was a great dad and i don't hate him he was just deeply religious.

I'm not asking for anyone to pave my life for me and I probably should've ended my post before the questions.

8. Jakey-D

Jakey-D Registered Member

I'm not being nasty in anyway but are you Catholic?

The catholic religion has always puzzled me. Their way of thinking seems very similar to Islamic extremists. Obviously they believe different things but their conviction to their beliefs scares me nearly as much.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Sup?

Yer, it was.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

As much as people think that I hate religion, it's people like the one you encountered on the bus that I can't stand. It's people who think they have the answers, not you and try and convince you that you're just some simpleton with a sheep mentality.