• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

My UPS goes off by itself... any idea why?

AlexisWilke

Hi guys,

Wondering if someone would have an idea about my UPS. It goes off by itself...

I suppose the batteries need to be replaced soon, but the question is more about the reason why would that possibly happen?! I have one computer and my modem connected to it, and they have been connected that way for a long time (years.) I did replace a hard drive in the computer, but I would imagine that the amount of electricity is about the same as the old hard drive and if that were a problem I would imagine that the UPS would have gone off really quickly! Instead it's more like 3 months later that the UPS is acting up. Nothing else changed...

So I use the computer and now it has been 3 times that it just all goes off at once! Poof! The computer will reboot, etc. but that defies the use of a UPS. The electricity is not dropping when that happens. It's just random (so it looks at least.)

Could the UPS be too old? It's something like 5 years old and I did change the batteries once already. Could it be that if the current batteries are too old they could just force an instant UPS shutdown?!

Thank you for your help!
Alexis