My thoughts on HHH

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Millz, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I figured I'd make this its own thread and quite frankly I feel like we've had a thread like this before. I posted this in the Summerslam thread and I thought it should be specialized.

Let me just say this before reading my post below...I have never been a huge HHH fan and I think he's kinda boring right now...I miss the heel version. But I can respect the man for the things he's accomplished...even if some of them were given to him. These are my thoughts on him and his bad rap for being where he is because of who he's married too. Okay, that's it, read below and please respond with disagreements and agreements. Thanks.

Triple H won his first WWE Championship in August of 1999. He had either disbanded DX or was about too. The Stephanie/HHH storyline didn't start until the beginning of 2000...might have been late 1999. He lost the belt to Vince and then got it back. Then he got it a third time in the beginning of 2000...three title reigns already...two of which were months before the Steph storyline even started.

Couple that with the fact Stephanie and Triple H didnt start dating in REAL LIFE the second this storyline started up...and They legally didnt marry until 2003...just sayin. In fact, he was still dating Chyna when the Stephanie storyline surfaced...they broke up sometime in 2000. When Steph and HHH started dating I'll never know.

My point was that Triple H was a huge deal before he started dating the bosses daughter. Is what he's ultimately become a buy-product of being with her? Probably so...no questions asked. But the marriage didnt make Triple H a superstar...he was already a two time champion and created a very popular version of DX with X-Pac, Road Dogg and Billy Gunn. He didnt need her to become a multiple time champion...some of those later title reigns were aided I'm sure but that's not my point.

Everyone keeps calling Trips the bad guy...maybe sometimes he is. This is still a man who's put over the likes of John Cena, Randy Orton, Chris Benoit, Big Show, Rock, Austin, Angle, Jericho, Lesnar, Edge, Batista etc etc. Those are all big names and you can thank Triple H for some of that. He made Batista the superstar that he is...without question. He's not that bad of a guy...he laid down for Legacy three weeks ago. The man is guilty by association...because he's friends with the clique, because he's married to the bosses daughter. Well shit, the man is a good fucking wrestler...let's give the man some credit for once.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm a strong believer like you Millz. HHH was bound to be a superstar and became one before he got married to Stephanie McMahon. I never understood why people believe that he has total control in the back. Vince saw something in Triple H and he knew that he could become a big star in the ring and carry the WWE. He was right, he became huge in the business even before he started dating Steph, he sold tickets, merchandise, Vince saw that so he decided to give him a bigger push. Why the heck not?

After Stone Cold and The Rock left there was only a few stars to push and Hunter was one of the top dogs. So McMahon decided to give him the torch and let him run with it, not because he married Steph but because Vince knew he could do it.

A lot of people say that Hunter as a lot of say in the outcome of the matches, because he's always in the meeting and such, well I don't know if you know but Finlay is always in the meeting as well, even for Pay Per View events, well we will all know he doesn't get a huge push.

All in all, Triple H deserved/deserves to get all those chances because he's one of the best in the business in the past decade or so, not because he's married to Steph.

3. Millz

Well said about Rock and Austin...when HHH's main event status skyrocketed was when those guys were winding down. Austin was hurt, Rock was doing other things and HHH was the one who stepped up and got the job done...a little luck on his part as well.

He's always been an excellent wrestler and a good mic guy.

I'd be a moron to think he doesnt have any control on what happens...he has the ear of McMahon. But I dont think he's out to make himself look like the best wrestler of all-time....Vince WILL shoot him down...VINCE is in charge.

4. Babe_Ruth

Very well said my friend, Vince does things to get ratings, get money and to make a lot of cash, not to make wrestlers happy, it doesn't matter if HHH is his son-in-law. I've said this before and I'll say it again, if Funaki married Stephanie instead of HHH, or even Santino both of those guys would still be jobbers.

HHH is getting the push because he has talent, and people who say he doesn't don't know what talent looks like. I don't consider him the best wrestler in the business by any means, but he's definitely top ten that's for sure. Also like Millz mentioned he's one of the best on the microphone today.

5. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Oh, of course he was going to be somebody big and have all these chances. My beef with Triple H are the following:

1) He gets out of gimmick on television and says stuff that all the people already know, he just wants them to know that he knows, too. Yet, when he leaves he doesn't get yelled at or criticized for going out of character because of who he is.

2) There's a lot of cases where he won a match where he shouldn't have won. That, coupled with people cheating to get his wins over him that otherwise would have been clean pins. I hardly ever seen Triple H get pinned cleanly without something doing something to cause a distraction, attack him, ect...

Guilty by association? Probably. I would say about 10-20% of my thinking about him goes to his "backstage powers". For the most part I do think he's entertaining and a good wrestler. Better than most. =D

6. Anthony1975

Anthony1975 Registered Member

Remember when he faced Booker T at Wrestlemania? Booker was originally going to win that but Trips got the result changed and said something along the lines of "people like you don't beat people like me" There was a big uproar about it for a while after that. Also in that very same match, Trips hit the pedigree but never made the cover for nearly a minute but still got the pin so go figure that one out.

7. Babe_Ruth

The thing about cheating Vilky is that's how a heel gets booed even more is when they win with using a weapon or something of that nature. It didn't start with HHH, it's been done for a lot of years. So you can't really blame HHH for that one.

8. Anthony1975

Anthony1975 Registered Member

Booker T wasn't very happy by the way and can't say I blame him.

9. Millz

The bolded part...

See: Cena, John

Triple H isnt the only one...Hulk Hogan?? There are a ton of people who never seem to get pinned clean and I think its just your opinion when you say he's won matches he shouldnt have...we dont book the matches...WWE books the matches.

I do agree with your first part but I like that someone can get away with it...my opinion...its funny sometimes.

I remember the match well...I also remember HATING Triple H back then. I was like you, I thought he won all the time just because of who he was married too and who is father-in-law was. I could not believe Booker T didnt win after Triple H talked him into the ground in this promo...

YouTube - Triple H tells Booker T the truth

I mean, that's the comments you're referring too, right? You think HHH didnt talk with Booker before he said those things? You think he said those things because he's racist and hated Booker? OR maybe he said those things to get ridiculous heat on himself and cement himself as the best heel the WWE had at the time. I remember being pissed off at him but I also realized (after awhile) that this is wrestling and he's just acting.

I can't find concrete information that states McMahon and himself changed the outcome a week prior. That's heresay that the internet most likely made up because they all hate Triple H. So yeah, Trips said those things but it was a STORYLINE and it didnt lead to him changing an outcome of a match.

10. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

I agree with Millz' general idea here...I remember being a huge fan of HHH and thinking that he, Rock, and Austin were HUGE in the WWE. I knew he was a staple of the company and that he was going places, and that was years before Steph and his title runs.