My Theory on the Right: If We Disagree, it's a 'Liberal' Thing

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, May 18, 2010.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I see this a lot and I mean a lot with right wingers and I've almost never seen it from the left. Perhaps it's a difference in temperament but whatever the case, I'm curious as to why anything or anyone that disagrees with the right is immediately labeled as left leaning. Are we really that badly polarized of a country that we can only see those two colors and are we that pathetic that we're more concerned over what to call one another than dealing with any actual problems?

Personally, I think it has to do with temperament since the right tends to be the more aggressive party but that's my simple answer.

Thoughts? Have you seen this at work?

Tucker likes this.

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean. Is this in response to the supposed liberal bias in media/higher education?

Doesn't it make sense that if there are two ends to the spectrum, if it leans away from (disagrees with) one side, it's by definition leaning the other way?

Also, if you are talking about the perceived media/higher education bias, is it possible that there's actually some truth to it? Maybe it is one of those things that many people accept as true that isn't really - or maybe the people (both liberal and conservative) who say it's true (including often the institutions themselves) are right...?

I hear it all the time about the evil, right leaning "big businesses".

3. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

Maybe it is because when conservatives label something "liberal" it means something (negative) to other conservatives. Most conservatives I know
    are proud to bear the "label" conservative. When liberals use the term conservative it doesn't have the same impact.

4. Merc

I thought it worded it pretty clearly, all I was getting at is when the right finds something it doesn't like they seem very likely to label it as "liberal" or left leaning without even researching or knowing of any sort of bias.

I think you may be heading in the direction I was trying to go because that does seem to make sense. Calling someone a "conservative" doesn't seem to really carry any weight interestingly enough. I think it also proves how common the term "liberal" is used as an insult because we can see how much impact it has.

5. SmilinSilhouette

Also, conservativism is a pretty simple concept. It is based upon the original intent of founding fathers of our country and framers of the US Constitution. These things can be easily determined by reading and understanding such things as the federalist papers and the constitution. It is quite easy for conservatives to identify each other and not be fooled by those who claim to be conservative but really only play one on TV (McCain immediately comes to mind).

So my point is that anything that is not conservative is, by definition, liberal. To conservatives that is a negative. Conservative = finite, liberal = undefined.

6. Merc

Most things are pretty simple at the concept stage, SS :lol:

You also say "reading and understanding" as if everyone interprets them the same way. Well that's kind of like saying everyone who follows the bible agrees on what every part of the book means. Also, is the ease of identification a good thing?

No offense but that just sounds . . uneducated. It's like saying "anything that's not hot is cold". Sounds accurate but when you really think about it, hot and cold are just two extremes with a whole lot of space between them. Ignoring that space just shows willingness to ignore thinking deeper on the subject. I think you've cut things down to a beyond simple level and that's never a good thing in a realm that should require thinking beyond a third grade level.

Also, it would not be too difficult to prove that most politicians no matter what color they subscribe to are pretty solid in the hypocrisy department. Basically, if you believe anyone with a TV show or anyone with an endorsement, you're a fool. All they do is buy and sell themselves to the American public.

The true politician is dead.

7. SmilinSilhouette

Reading and understanding the US Constitution is simple, unless some liberal professor has successfully filled your mind with mush. Yes it is a good thing, the US Constitution is of, by, and for We The People, not the elites in their ivory towers. The bible analogy fails for me as it is based upon the faith that a book written by men contains the words of god. The US Constitution requires no leap of faith, but in agreement in a set of principles.

To your other point I will counter that it is not uneducated but rather unindoctrinated. For me it is a with me or against me proposition. It matters not that liberal may mean 30%, 50%, or 100% in opposition to conservative principles, just against.

Finally, politicians abound. It is statesmen we are lacking.

8. Merc

See this is the kind of silliness I'm talking about. TO YOU it's clear cut and simple but many other people (not just liberals, stop that partisan bashing gibberish) find differences in interpretation. To think that there would be no difference of interpretation of a 233 year old document that attempted to lay the foundation of an entire country is . . . well, silly.

You've missed the point. I'm not discussing the validity of the bible here, I don't see how you could have gotten that. I was talking about the endless battles between the faithful over what passages mean and what the overall messages are being sent, etc.

You know, kind of like the constitution.

So I apologize if I'm misunderstanding this, but are you honestly saying that if 1% of the opposition is liberal . . . it's still liberal? I'm pretty sure I'm wrong here. As a matter of fact, I may just pray for it.

9. SmilinSilhouette

To me and I'll bet MIT, CO, Pro, Wade, Brix, and many others. I recall Pro tried to start threads to discuss the bill of rights one at a time to address any misunderstanding.

I got your point, you missed mine.

Please reference my thread "Is Conservatism Extreme". You may find that many liberals would also agree with conservative principles.

So if it is 1% then we are 99% in agreement and 1% opposition.

10. Merc

I'd love to know when was the last time you all had a sit together, read through the whole constitution and never disagreed on one part of it. Of course, it's very likely this has never happened.

;)

How about instead of referencing another thread, we focus on this one? Better yet, give me your answer here.

Only the unintelligent work in absolutes. What if 80 out of that 90% that agreed are liberal and the 1% that disagreed is also liberal? Has it occurred to you that people aren't just shapes cut out of cookie dough? That just because someone claims to be on one side of the spectrum, that it doesn't mean they're entirely in agreement with everything they do?