• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

My severe allergic reaction to a minor surgery

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I've been meaning to do this for awhile, because I know some of you people like to look at this sort of thing.

So, I had a lesion on my right arm, near the crook of my elbow. I showed it to my doctor, he thought that it was most probably nothing, but he was going to go ahead and remove it and have it biopsied just in case. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of what he actually removed, so I can't show you what it looked like. I can tell you that it looked like a huge mosquito bite, but it had been there for 2+ years.

So anyway, I went in on May 29th and had it removed. From here on out I will include pictures with my narrative, but I warn you, they are very gross and it may make you sick.

May 30th: Took off the bandage and get a first look at the stitched skin.

May 31st: It was oozing a lot and I had to constantly wash it under water, but I wasn't allowed to touch it.

June 1st: You can already see that I'm starting to get an allergic reaction. However, I didn't know what this was at the time, and had never had stitches, so I had no idea I was allergic to them. I thought what was happening was normal.

June 2nd

June 3rd

June 4th

June 5th: First doctor's appointment after removal. He informs me that I'm allergic to sutures. He takes them out, and then he adds those stero strips to my arm that is supposed to help with the allergic reaction. First pic is before dr. appt, second is after.

June 7th: I was supposed to leave the strips on until they fell off, but they felt itchy and I couldn't wait any longer. Surprise, I'm also allergic to the adhesive he used to put the strips on.

June 8th: I was laying on the couch, sleeping. I got up, and my skin stuck to the couch. It jerked on my wound, which wasn't closed enough, I guess. It ended up getting split open. My sister came over and we used those butterfly strips to close it. I had a dr's appt the following monday anyway, so didn't want to go to the emergency room on a saturday. They couldn't stitch it back anyway, since I'm allergic.

June 11th: Day after the doctor's appointment. He advised me to keep it butterflied, and be extremely careful. No sudden movements, etc. The first pic is in my apt, the 2nd is natural light, outside. In the 2nd pic you can tell that I was allergic to the bandage as well. If you look you can see the welts starting to come up on the edges of my arm.

June 12th

June 15th: Before and after this day, I had been using Neosporin, and as you can see over several days my allergic reaction spread, because I am also allergic to sulfa.

June 18th: Happy birthday to me :| I had gone to the doctor again either on the 16th or 17th, and he told me to stop putting anything on my arm at all, and to just let it dry out. He also prescribed me a steroid cream to put on that I was only allowed once a day.

June 19th: You can already tell that it's helping and it's starting to dry out.

June 20th

June 22nd

June 24th

July 1st

August 14th: And I just took this pic right now.

It was awful. I've never been so uncomfortable. Also, I always held my arm at an angle because he said no sudden movements. I would have terrible neck and back pain because of the unnatural way I was having to hold my arm.

My doctor is concerned about my allergic reactions, he thinks they are a bit severe. He wants me to get a medical ID bracelet to wear, in case I'm in an accident and unable to speak. He's worried that any emergency workers would accidentally hurt me not knowing that I'm allergic to certain medical procedures. I'm also allergic to bees, wasps, generally flying insects that sting. So now he has me carrying around an epipen, just in case.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Pam, those pics are sick nasty!

If you're going to have an allergic reaction that severe I think a medical bracelet might be a good idea. Just imagine if you had ingested something like that that you're allergic to, it would have caused numerous problems.

Think about it like this, if you're in an accident and can't speak, it'd be best for the doctors to know what not to do as it could worsen your condition to a dangerous degree (assuming there is a condition at all in any emergency you may have in the future)

I remember when I found out that I was allergic to penicillin. I got a slight rash but nothing major like that, it was still pretty uncomfortable. I'd be uncomfortable knowing that I was allergic to all of that stuff and not having a medical bracelet.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Yeah I'm planning on getting one. They have really cute ones that look like charm bracelets that won't look too bad. I just haven't had the extra money to get one yet.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
My god, that gave me the biggest goosebumps because it does not look pretty! Glad all is well now.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Damn, I was actually able to look at those without turning away. Wish I had asked you to show me along with the others now.

I can't believe how good it is looking now. Looking back it is amazing what our skin is capable of!

Definitely get one of those bracelets. Are they expensive?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I don't know how I missed this thread. Thanks heaps for posting these photos! I love seeing stuff like this. Glad it looks like it's healing.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Thanks. I'm thinking about putting some vitamin E oil on it now that it's calmed down some. It's supposedly supposed to help with scarring.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
It was awful, Aleks. If possible it felt worse than it looked, and since I tore it open, I was terrified I was going to tear it open again.

I can't decide what to get. I'm thinking of a cuff bracelet:
Filigree Medical ID Cuff | Lauren's Hope

or

I also like the idea of dog tags.
Pink Mini Medical Dog Tag | N-Style ID
American Medical ID*Dog Tag, Black 24 inch | Walgreens
I could imagine the pain of tearing it apart, especially if it was stuck to something! I remember when I tore my hand open back in 2008, it was infected and full of blood and pus and I squeezed my hand and the skin just tore open splashing blood and pus everywhere.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
You inspired me to post my own disgusting thread now haha.

Glad to hear it's doing well, hopefully you will have very minimal scarring.