My Return to Yu-Gi-Oh

Discussion in 'Cards & Board Games' started by Merc, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Okay, so I'm officially announcing my return to Yu-Gi-Oh! for a few reasons. One, I have too many cards that are just sitting around. Two, I need some cash and I made decent money playing it on the side with my job. I figured as a returning statement, I want to rant just a bit about a few things I've noticed about Yu-Gi-Oh! since I've left.

When I left, I was having increasing difficulty putting a working deck together, which I usually never did. Most of the players I lost to were running CCChaos decks. I have nothing against chaos monsters, they're effective, fast, and strong. So I guess what I'm talking about is originality. The first tournament I won, I was using a Hayabusa Knight deck, the only one at my store. It was the week of the LON release and I defeated an Exodia deck (belonging to the number 1 ranked player in our store), a fully-loaded LON deck (equips, Kycoos and Geminis), and a vicious dragon deck. If I came back to a store today, I probably would have face three decks with similar or identical builds. Why? Because people learned what wins and what doesn't. You can't force creativity, it's up to the players. I was always one to try out new decks and new ideas (my Guardian Baou deck was pretty damn fun now that I think of it). Originality is dead, plain and simple.

Another thing, not related to the actual game, but the critics of the game are the targets now. Yu-Gi-Oh! players are bashed usually because it's considered a kids game. You know why? Because in every aspect except for gameplay, it is childish. The merchandise, the anime, the target audience, it's all for children. In America, Yu-Gi-Oh was aimed at a younger crowd of boys and girls around 7 and up (whereas Japan it's aimed at teenaged boys). Upperdeck saw the potential to print their own money and they succeeded. Kind of like the way players net deck to win money, Upperdeck will not change anything if they're winning with what they have already. Anyways, don't get offended if someone laughs at you or says it's a kid's game, because it is. You need to take the next step and say, "So what?" or simply laugh it off.

So that's my take on Yu-Gi-Oh!, I am hoping to be able to start organizing my own tournaments (I are a tourney orgazin0r) around my college and get some people to play.

2. Blur

Blur iPimp

Yep, pretty much.

I dont think i will ever return to playing it, just because in today's metagame i would not last with half my cards being now banned or limited to 1, and also the fact that everyone is no doubtadly using and abusing whatever deck is currently dominating, just like they did Chaos.

3. lavoidgaskins

lavoidgaskins Registered Member

I told you that you would come abck that you never really quit. Welcome back now I have a chance to take the man down. This will be fun. Seriously though what do you need?

With the new list on it's way nothing is going to be the top deck so orginality will be a top pick.

4. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

Welcome back to the game. You picked a good time as the new banlist has totally eliminated Chaos.

5. lavoidgaskins

Is doesn't really matter the chaos monsters like Cyber Dragon and such can still run wild. Chaos kept things glued togehter and that was a good thing, but like I said before welcome back Merc.

6. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

but there is a way around cyber dragon, providing decree's use declines.

7. lavoidgaskins

Do you mean to tell me you think Cyber Dragon Playability depends on Royal Decree? If so you are wrong and you shouldn't be giving Merc that idea.

8. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

actually yes. fonz, my brother and I have found a way or two around cyber dragon but unfortunately it's a trap card. i'm awaiting doing a review of that card until the SJC after the new banlist to see how the meta changes.

9. lavoidgaskins

The meta will probaly be the same. Honestly yugioh will be yugioh. Back on topic.

Welcome back tot he game Merc. Sorry but I do not feel this thread needs to be opened any longer so unless you (Merc) have some thing to say this thread just got locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.