My Ramble About College

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Entering my third year of college, I have to tell some of the younger crowd here a few things. Now, I'm only 20, (21 in 3 months) but we have a few kids here and you need to know something:

Middle school and high school mean nothing in terms of your social life.

Ever.

If you believe that it is important to remain in a constant, near flawless, ultimate in "cool" sort of state, you're wrong. High school is about having fun and that's what you should do. I wish I hadn't have taken it so seriously myself. Chances are that you will never interact with these people again, so have fun!

Anyone else realize this after leaving high school? I sadly didn't realize this until I started college.

Anyone else realize this after leaving high school? I sadly didn't realize this until I started college.
I realized this by middle school, but I'm kind of a special case. I was on my 4th school when I was in the 4th grade

EDIT: but yeah, none of my friends or even classmantes from highschool went to the same college as me, and I only keep in touch with two people from high school.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
Well, I am only a freshmen, but I'm still keeping up with a lot of my friends from high school and band.

I don't really think I'll lose touch with them. The internet is a great thing for that.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Well, I am only a freshmen, but I'm still keeping up with a lot of my friends from high school and band.

I don't really think I'll lose touch with them. The internet is a great thing for that.
I'm not talking good friends, I'm talking people that think they need to keep face with everyone. Or at least think it's important.

Kyo_Muramasa

Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n
It's not cool when you find out that your friends are moving to far away colleges from the one your going to. Chances are you better start making a new buddy list in college. Usually you can keep up with a few but others either move away after or during college, get killed from drunk driving and such, have kids and you KNOW your not likely to see them ever again until the kid is like what.....14?!

Yes, my grandmother and mother drill this into my head everytime I ask about this kinda stuff with school. You might get to see your friends again if you live near them or you might come upon them sometime later in your for like 2 or 3 more times before you just forget about them completely.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
I don't take my high school experience all that seriously compared to a lot of others, however given the college-prep nature of the school I attend, that's not really all that suprising.

I'm taking a fairly lax schedule, avoiding the time sink APUSH class (APUSH at a private school is suicide), and going to pick up two more clubs this year.

I think the biggest mistake people do is take hard classes that they're not interested in. Why would I take, say, AP Chemistry or AP Physics? I'm not going into a science track. I'm taking AP Biology because it doesn't have busywork and AP Econ because it's well-taught and I like the subject. Meanwhile, some people are taking the hardest possible science, english, foreign language etc. Why?

Well, I hated roughly 75% of the people in my Highschool, so the people I actually liked were people that accepted me for me. I've encountered a few of the people that I didnt like from highschool up at OSU, but I didn't go more in-depth than a greeting.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I think I've only met around 3 twats from secondary school at college so far. Other than that, I've seen a few friends around. But they don't count, as they aren't twats.

...well, maybe one is, but I don't care.

Henskie

The Super Pimp of GF
True middle school and high school are socially crap. The nice thing about college is if you dont want to deal with the people you dont have to. Most of who you hang out with is determined by your major. I personally chose a hard major so there are very few people in it (only about 70) and I go to a very large school (University of Connecticut) so really for any of my classes for my major I am going to be in the same class as them. Unlike high school though there is no pressure really to fit in if you dont like the crowd go find a new one.

In addition to that the attitude of college students is different because most of them are here to work (at least in my major) and the mentality isnt nearly as juvenile as in middle school and high school who are mostly being held there against their will. Though college is much much more difficult than high school it is socially easier which makes the experience better. Thats all for me