• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hot! My Pikes Peak Trip

dDave

V.I.P.
Today I got up at 4:30, packed some gear, and headed to the Barr Trail Trailhead (Pikes Peak for those of you that don't know).

I hiked the full 12.6 miles up the mountain. It's VERY long and there's a LOT of elevation gain but man oh man was it fun.

The last 2 miles were truly hell on earth.

I went with a group of 9 other people and we split up. I went fast with one other guy. My final time ended up being 5 hours and 15 minutes, my buddy got 5 hours and 30 minutes, everyone else went over 6 hours.

I feel good about the time considering I really haven't done sufficient training for the mountain and the endurance challenge that it is. My time was over 6 hours the last time I did the mountain.

Pictures to come (though admittedly, I didn't take very many).

Anyone else do Pikes Peak? (or at least drive up?)

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've driven to the top and spent the night on it during the July 4th hill climb. Beautiful mountain. That's been several years ago though. Wish I could do that again. I loved getting rained and snowed on.lol

Going back down there was a considerable amount of traffic and we got to watch people's brakes go up in smoke. One guy turned a jeep over because of it. No one was hurt.

dDave

V.I.P.
We got stuck in a long line of cars. At the brake check station every car in front of us on the way down (8 cars) all got tagged for having brakes that were too hot and had to stop and wait for them to cool down. We were the only car that was allowed to continue down.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think people were riding their brakes. Can't do that on Pikes Peak. We kept our truck in a lower gear to keep from going too fast and only used the brakes some.