• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

My Parents don't accept Caucasian Men

Naiwen

Registered Member
My boyfriend is a Caucasian man (French), and my parents don't like them... so Yeah, I was wondering how to tell them I have a French boyfriend?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Flat out tell them and don't pay attention to what they think. Racism is unacceptable.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
They're your parents so you should respect them, but if their only objection to your boyfriend is going to be a racist one, that's wrong. I would tell them. It'll probably go over a little better than if they were to find out on their own, and only get parts of the story. Ultimately though, its your choice who you choose to have a relationship with.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I don't know what to tell you, I understand where you are coming from since you live under their roof. I come from the school of whoever owns the house makes the rules. That's the way it was in my house growing up. My dad made the rules and whoever didn't like his rules was free to move out and support themselves. Granted my parents never interfered with who I went out with, especially based on race, but I understand your predicament.

I was on the other side of things, being Hispanic. There were girls who I went out with who lied to their parents because of my ethnicity. Those relationships never lasted long anyway, it was a date or two. I don't know what to tell you other than you might just have to have a serious sit down conversation with your parents and be up front and honest with them about who you are dating, rather than sneaking around.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
This is the online relationship, right? So I have to ask, is he French Canadian or where is he from? And if he is from Canada too, how far away is he? I agree with Doc and CO to just tell your parents straight up, but if I were you, I would hold off on that till you've spent some more time with your boyfriend in person. If you haven't met him face to face, do that before telling your parents you're in a relationship.

I have nothing against online relationships, trust me. But in my opinion, you can't call it a serious relationship until you've at least met the person face to face. No point in telling you parents until you are sure where this is going.

Naiwen

Registered Member
This is the online relationship, right? So I have to ask, is he French Canadian or where is he from? And if he is from Canada too, how far away is he? I agree with Doc and CO to just tell your parents straight up, but if I were you, I would hold off on that till you've spent some more time with your boyfriend in person. If you haven't met him face to face, do that before telling your parents you're in a relationship.

I have nothing against online relationships, trust me. But in my opinion, you can't call it a serious relationship until you've at least met the person face to face. No point in telling you parents until you are sure where this is going.
He is from France, and thanks for your advice and your opinion. So I shouldn't tell my parents until I meet him face-to-face?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree with Idi on this, I wouldn't tell them anything if we are talking about the guy you met on skype less than a week ago. Unless you've started dating otherwise you may talk for a while and that may be the end of it.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
If he's in France, I would say even more not to tell your parents yet. Once the two of you start making serious plans on visiting each other, then you should tell them. Not to be a killjoy, but some online relationships can be fickle. At least wait to make plans to meet the guy before potentially upsetting your parents over something that might not be serious, yet. Once the two of you get serious and meet each other, you should start preparing your parents.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Yah I agree with Idi. I didn't realize he was an online boyfriend. There's no sense causing a big scene with your parents unless its getting serious serious.