My new build.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I have a very good laptop but I decided that a desktop would be better and more reliable for me to use for my college work. I decided that I wanted to build one myself (as always) with a $1000 budget and this is the setup I came up with:

This case won my heart because green is easily my favorite color. I've been wanting to build a computer in a shuttle case for some time now and this should be an interesting experience. I meant to buy new case fans for it. Oops. I'll have to live with the stock ones for now.

CPU: Intel Core i7 (quad core) @ 2.93 mhz. I've heard stories of them being overclocked to 3.6+ easily.
Motherboard: Gigabyte mATX board with all kinds of onboard pretties. I chose it for its physical size and price.
Hard Drive: Samsung 1TB, SATA, 5600 RPM.
Memory: 2x2GB (4GB total) G.SKILL w/ heat spreader
Video card: XFX GeForce 9500 GT 1GB
Windows 7 Home
BD-ROM (not burner)

The motherboard offers me expandability in both my processor (unlikely to happen) and my RAM (very likely to happen). I plan on adding 2x4Gb (8 total) in the near future bringing my total RAM to 12GB.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Very nice. You'll have to take some pictures once you have it assembled. Or even better, as you assemble it. I'm very curious how the inside of that case looks before and after installation.

Also, 12GB of RAM will be very nice later on. Especially since it's DDR3. I don't have any benchmarks in front of me but from what I've read and heard DDR3 is leaps and bounds faster than the same amount of DDR2. You'll be able to multi-task like nobody's business once you fully upgrade this thing.

Doc

V.I.P.
I think I will take pics of the building process. I'm sure I'll run into issues with the small form factor. One of the reasons I chose that specific video card was for the physical size.

Arathald

Registered Member
That's a great setup for $1000. I might have to look at borrowing some of your ideas, since it's sometimes hard to fit an i7 (and a relatively beefy video card) into that kind of budget. Let us know how it goes.

I assume you're building this system as a gaming machine, not just a work box. When you get it built, I'd be very interested in seeing some benchmark results and your own opinions about how it runs.

Doc

V.I.P.
I assume you're building this system as a gaming machine, not just a work box. When you get it built, I'd be very interested in seeing some benchmark results and your own opinions about how it runs.
Actually I don't game very much. I've obviously chosen a very capable gaming machine, though. What game would you like me to benchmark with it? I've been looking for an excuse to get into PC games and I'll probably start with Oblivion.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Nice, I've been thinking of building for a while now, but I'm gonna wait it out til probably at least 2011. I might cave and build earlier.

Right now I'm running a decent setup, nothing amazing, I did just get a dell 23"hd screen though so I wouldn't need to get a new one.

Oblivion is tons of fun, the world is just endless and there's so much stuff to do. I play that on PC, way better than xbox if you ask me.

Last edited:

Doc

V.I.P.
I've already destroyed it on 360. I've done everything except search for every cave/dungeon.

Eragon0605

Registered Member
You got all that for 1k? Nice. Not sure how that case is going to work out as far as cooling goes, but it looks nice. Your CPU won't be hard to OC at all. I got an i5-750 (2.66 GHz) at 4 GHz right now, and it is Prime95 24-hour torture test stable with barely any tinkering at all. Apparently, the i7 line is even easier to OC. Just a warning, though. The GeForce 9500 won't work out well for games. I got it and it runs Civilization 4 like garbage (no higher than medium-low settings without performance hit). Immediately swapped it out for a GTX 260, and I think you can figure the rest out yourself ;).

Doc

V.I.P.
Honestly? I sacrificed a whole 512mb of video memory so I could add several more necessary perks. I'm not going to use it for gaming (though I hope it runs Diablo 3 smoothly) very much. It's a workstation for me and I'm going to upgrade it sometime at the end of September or early October.

Planned upgrades? Beefier video card and 8 more GB of RAM.

I traded the extra video memory for two Cooler Master fans to replace the stock ones in the case (recommended by the reviews), and all-in-one card reader, and upgraded from a no-name brand 19" with a super low contrast ratio to a nice ASUS 18.5" with a better contrast ratio and DVI.

Last edited:

Doc

V.I.P.
And here's what I have:

Intel Core i7 @ 2.93 ghz
4 GB (2 x 2gb) G.Skill DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
1TB Samsung hard drive @ 5600 RPM
512MB GeForece 9500GT

I traded down on video memory since I don't game much and I wanted a card reader/better fans.