• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

My name is...

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm looking for advice from my fellow GFers, both from those that know me well and are good friends and from newer members that just want to analyze the concept at face value.

*Please keep it on topic of analysis of the name itself (and how it fits with me if you do know me); if you'd like to joke around with it, which sounds fine to me, go ahead and start a ST thread*

As most of you know, my name is Dan. My official legal/full name is Daniel, but I can go by Danny or Dan.

I went by Danny as a little boy, and changed to Dan when I was somewhere around 10-12. I've had a good run with that name.

However, I've been considering a change to Daniel in the last year or so off and on...the decision is ultimately mine, obviously. But I always appreciate opinion. Even more random opinions are fine with me, like "____ sounds nerdier to me," or "____ fits well with modern society." And ladies, any input on which name is sexier would be much appreciated. ;)

Why I'm leaning towards changing to Daniel at this point:

(1) I feel like it's a little more unique these days. There are a lot of people that go by Dan, Bob, Tim, etc. Short names are common...not as many people go by the longer name.

(2) I really like the name Daniel, in general, at this point in my life. I think it sounds slightly more professional than Dan, it has a lot of historical value, and some have told me that it sounds a little on the intellectual side, which I definitely don't mind.

I'd like to think about it and decide before I get my MSW in a month or so, so that I can start fresh in job interviews with Daniel if I so choose (instead of deciding to change my name after working at a place for a year, lol).

P.S. - If you'd like to use this thread, to talk about names that you go by, would like to go by, etc. (such as your "full" name or middle name), go for it! I'm pretty awesome but this doesn't have to be all about me, people. :lol:

Bliss

Sally Twit
I like Daniel. I think it is a smart name. It suits you.

I think you will always be 'Dan' to your friends but you should definitely go by your full name when it comes to something like work.

'Dan' is one of the boys where as 'Daniel' means business. :)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I like the name Daniel. Not that there's anything wrong with Dan or Danny. Full names just sound more formal and professional.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Thanks for the quick input! I do agree about the professional/smart side to Daniel.

And keep in mind that I'm thinking overall, with friends and with work. Even though it could be a long & slow transition with friends and family haha.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Well if you can get them to agree to it then I say go for it. I mean it is your real name and it does sound nice.
You definitely look like a Daniel. I'm sure your folks will be happy considering that is what they named you.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think everyone (myself included) would get used to it! I think if you've been leaning towards going with Daniel for this long that you should go ahead and do it. I think in your mind you know that's what you prefer at this point in your life.

And hey, that's my middle name. So yeah, it's a cool name!

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I think it's a given that full names sound more professional than their shorter versions. So if you think you can adapt to it, then you should definitely go for it!

Hmm, I do prefer Daniel as a name, personally. Though to me Dan seems to suit you better but I know for sure that's just because it's what I'm used to with you. It could change over time.

Actually, I only used the name 'Rebecca' as my username on GF because I was going through a 'growing up, must sound more professional lalala' phase at the time. Nobody really calls me that away from this place... but I've grown to like it better than the other variations on my name that I once far preferred. So from personal experience I feel like you could quite easily adapt to 'Daniel' but you'll never know unless you go for it and try it.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I prefer Daniel myself of the three - for the reasons that Echoes stated.

I mean you've got:

Desperate Dan

Danny DeVito:

and
Daniel Day Lewis

There may or may not be logic in there.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I think it's a given that full names sound more professional than their shorter versions. So if you think you can adapt to it, then you should definitely go for it!

Hmm, I do prefer Daniel as a name, personally. Though to me Dan seems to suit you better but I know for sure that's just because it's what I'm used to with you. It could change over time.

Actually, I only used the name 'Rebecca' as my username on GF because I was going through a 'growing up, must sound more professional lalala' phase at the time. Nobody really calls me that away from this place... but I've grown to like it better than the other variations on my name that I once far preferred. So from personal experience I feel like you could quite easily adapt to 'Daniel' but you'll never know unless you go for it and try it.
Thanks for the opinion, Rebecca! haha...I've been "Dan" in a professional setting since late August with my internship, it's just kind of a personal preference choice with me at this point. I'd lie if I said the professional side of it wasn't a small part of it, though.

I prefer Daniel myself of the three - for the reasons that Echoes stated.

I mean you've got:

Desperate Dan

Danny DeVito:

and
Daniel Day Lewis

There may or may not be logic in there.
Let's just say there is...because...you're looking at the sociological context of the name variations in modern western society? :nod:

Starfire86

Registered Member
Personally, I like calling people by their full names. I don't know why :p But if I knew you, I would call you Daniel.