My handmade soap.

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by ILOVEUSA911, Mar 12, 2009.

1. ILOVEUSA911

ILOVEUSA911 Registered Member

I love making soap from scratch. These are some of the bars I've made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes they'd come out with little figures in them, like this one looked like a bird to me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009

2. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

It looks like a Sea Horse to me.. but with a real Horse head haha

Those are pretty cool

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

How do you make them? That's interesting.

Have you ever carved any shapes with them? That's what I think of at first when somebody talks about hand made soap.

4. ILOVEUSA911

Well, first you start off with water and lye, different types of oils that are yummy for your skin and you use a soap calculator for the size batch that you're making to tell you how much of everything you need.

It can get really tense at times because some fragrance or essential oils make the soap start setting quicker than others, so you have to work like heck to get it mixed and in the mould. My hubby made me three lb. wooden moulds.

Once you've gotten it into the mould, it has to go through a process called saponifcation, where the temperature gets up over 200 degrees. It looks like gooey gel in the mould and during the night it goes from gooey gel to hard soap. It's pretty amazing really.

I haven't even carved anything into any of them, but you can buy different moulds to make them look like any shape you want. I just like the regular soap shape, fits the hand better, etc.

Also, do you see the one that looks like planets in a dark sky? That's actually what I call a spa bar. Before your soap is done, you have to sort of shave the rough edges off, so there would be all this scrap soap. I decided to make the scraps into round balls, and add the it into the soap batch before putting it in the mould. The dark color comes from using dead sea mud, fragranced with spearment, peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils. That's my hubby's favorite bar. I think it's just because he thinks the planets are cool. :lol:

It's not for the faint hearted. You are working with a costic chemical...lye. Can't tell ya how many lye burns I've had, but it never stopped me. I love making it. I don't make it as much since my surgeries because you have to stand and it's kind of labor intensive. But I sure do miss it. I also miss the extra money it brought it from selling it in boutiques in our area.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I like the 4th one from the left in the second row of the first picture. I like it because it almost looks like a sponge.

I imagine these smell pretty good?

6. ILOVEUSA911

The one you like is made with goat's milk, oatmeal and honey (that's what gives it the brownish color). It is ridiculously good for the skin.

Yes they all smell very good. Hubby always said that if I was going to pick up a hobby, he was glad it was that one, not only did he love the soap, but our house always smelled so good.

7. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

That is pretty good, the first one in the first picture looks like those licorice thingies.

8. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Now those look cool, I bet they take a bit to make. Do you sell them on eBay or do you sell them locally? Do you make a good profit from selling them?

9. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Haha, everybody is mentioning one that they like, but I like several of them. In the first picture, I like the first striped one, the first two on the second row, and also the first two again on the last row.
    That looks really cool. Is it time consuming to do?

10. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

My stepdaughter's mom used to make and sell soap and candles. One time she left my stepD home alone (she was 12ish) for a long time and she experimented on making soaps, eventually burning down the apartment. So yeah, I think this is serious business! Your soaps look pretty. How long have you been doing this? Are all your soaps in the house home made?