My First Time

Discussion in 'Computers' started by whateverdude_09, Mar 30, 2009.

1. whateverdude_09

whateverdude_09 Registered Member

Okay...kinda lured you in with the title...But i'm working on building my own computer...what are some suggestions and advice that you could give to this greenhorn. I want to know what things mean...so if you find yourself putting down abbreviations please tell me what they are.

thank you

2. teron

teron Registered Member

Wow, there's a bit to go over then Just "A+B=C"

Physically putting the rig together (depending on what you purchase) is often the easiest part.

Picking the right hardware, and then all the software installation is the kicker.

Lets start small - whats your budget look like?

3. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Alright I'll give this a shot, I build my own so I know what I'm talking about. I don't know what your budget is so bear with me.

For starters I'd make sure that you have a sufficient case that has a lot of built in spots for fans and maybe even a side fan (to keep your computer running nice and cool as well as easily upgradeable without having to worry about heat issues.)

Video card - I'd get either an nVidia or ATI card but nVidia is my personal favorite you definitely want 256mb GDDR3 but 512 or higher is recommended if you want any kind of nice gaming rig. Get a PCI-Express video card

RAM - I would never recommend buying anything other than PNY RAM and since DDR3 has just recently released I would recommend buying PNY DDR3 RAM.

Processor (also called CPU) - I have a few recommendations so you pick.
    Intel Core 2 Duo (dual core)
    Intel Core 2 Quad (quad core)
    AMD Phenom 64 X 4 (quad core)

You'd be happy with any of those, I would never buy any processor worse than those, you might even look into the Intel Xeon and other octo core processors if you're really serious.

Motherboard - There are a few things that your motherboard must support and here they are.

Hard Drive - I would simply recommend getting anything that is a SATA hard drive from Western Digital or Maxtor, I've been very happy with either company myself.
    Video - PCI-Express
    RAM - DDR3 (the motherboard should probably support at least 8GB of RAM but don't worry you don't need to fill up the full capacity you'll be fine putting probably 3 or 4 GB in there for now)
    Hard Drive - SATA hard drives

Operating System - I would not ever recommend ever buying windows Vista so please don't. Your best bet is to get 64 bit windows XP (64 bit keep that in mind) and wait until Windows 7 comes out, Vista was a horrible failure so don't get that.

http://www.generalforum.com/basic-c...ech-class-session-1-parts-computer-44109.html

There's a thread I made a while back, it will definitely come in handy if this is your first time doing this.

If you need any more help feel free to ask there are several members here who have an extensive knowledge of PC building.

4. whateverdude_09

i have yet to create a budget...for i am a broke teenager and am going into the military in the summer...so a future military budget...
    ------
    what exactly is a bit and why do i need 64 of them?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

You dont really need to know other than the basics to build a computer.

A bit is a binary digit(either a 0 or a 1). It is what a computer reads to understand and process tasks. An 8bit machine will be able to read 8bit commands ie; 01100101, meanwhile a 32bit system will be able to read 32bit strings ie; 01100101 10110011 01100101 10110011.

Obviously the more bits a computer can understand the better as more information can be crammed into a string, however this does come at a price, it is quicker to read just 8bits than it takes to read 32bits and so on. So the more bits you have is not always better. Personally I cant see any need at the moment for more than 32bits. The main problem with 64bit is it does not have the support needed and there are a shed load of compatability issues. I cant see this changing anytime soon as we really dont need that many bits. Think of it like wheels on a car, four is sufficent for the task in hand, adding extra wheels does little benefit.

I wrote this up for another member, it may be of use to you;

6. whateverdude_09

But 32bit does not handle more than 3gb of RAM very well from what I've read. All of the sources (which just might be trying to sell me stuff) have said 64 bit is better on a gaming rig.

7. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

It wont make any difference to a gaming rig. The majority of games(everything except crysis) are made for 32bit architecture. You will not see any difference between 64bit and 32bit machines when it comes to games.

How much RAM do you really need? If you are using a Quad-core that is crunching through RAM using a high render preset application then more is better obviously ....... but a computer game does not do this. Developers know that the majority of users are restricted to less than 2gb on 32bit(x86) architecture so they tailor the games for them. 64bit capabilities have been around for a few years now and other than Vista's failings and RAM becoming affordable it has not taken off other than consumers thinking more is better....note consumers....because developers dont touch it, until that investment is made then 32bit will always be the target audience. On that note the purpose built gaming consoles; the PS3, Xbox360 are 32bit, seeing as most game developers will endeavor to be cross-platform dont expect the 64bit leap to happen in the next 5 years, not before the eighth generation begins to manifest itself at least.

The big question is; do you go for 64bit because you can or because it is of benefit?

If you are buildng a gaming rig, 4gb RAM on a 32bit system is sufficent, use the money saved and put it towards the quality of RAM, the CPU and graphics card....then you will realy see a difference!

8. teron

teron Registered Member

Right, so, what your saying is that Vram is everything? So a 512 8600 should be sufficient :confused:

PNY sucks for anything other than your typical user, I've had 3 sticks go bad on me in under 4 months. But hey, its your rig.

A Xeon? Are you effin kidding man? Do you have any idea what environment those are even produced for?

Maxtor is complete crap and so is Western Digital unless your buying a raptor.

Samsung and Seagate are all I buy (unless its a Raptor) and its all I recommend to my customers.

Wow, really? I'm not even sure if AGP or PCI-E 1.0 boards are being mass produced any more.

If he's on a budget, DDR2 is just fine - besides, less worries (I could give you DDR3 nightmares)

Really? an OS that is losing ground and support by the hour.. (XP64) if he doesn't want to use any DirectX10 features or if he doesnt require some of the little trinkets from Vista, XP Pro will suit him just fine. Hell I"ll send him a copy if he wants it. I have Vista Ultimate, and aside from some early rendering issues its working just fine now. Not sure where your going with this.

A 32bit OS can't address more than 3.25GB of physical RAM - 4GB is nice, cheap and good for the future, but 2GB is more than sufficient on a budget. Speaking of Budget, I went to newegg and threw together a quick list for a "Future Military" style. Keep in mind its just the rig itself and no other asscessories. I came up with 752.91 + Shipping. Bump off $35 dollars because of Mail in Rebates (on top of
    a few items having free shipping) and thats easily around $750 - toss in a monitor, keyboard/mouse/speakers and it could be about $1k total.

I'll PM you the list I came up with and if you have questions let me know.

9. whateverdude_09

Thank you for the PM...i sent a question...i may have more...and you said DDR3 "nightmares"...are they really THAT buggy?