My favorite recipe...

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by Teorropy, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

Okay, this is what my wife gave me, there are actually three recipes for this, but it is good. Please keep in mind, my wife doesn't also measure, she cooks by her gut.

First is Mom's Ragu

Ingredients

1 large carrot, washed but doesn't have to be peeled
    1 celery stalk (leaves and all)
    1 medium onion
    1 fistfull of fresh parsley
    olive oil
    2 pounds ground beef
    1/2 pound pork sausage
    2 big cans crushed tomatoes
    2 garlic cloves ( you can put more in it you really like garlic)
    2-3 boulin cubes
    salt

INSTRUCTIONS

Blend carrot, celery, onion, and parsley (if you use a blender and not a food processor, you can add water to help it blend faster). Put in a pan with olive oil in bottom (you will probably want a fairly large pot to fit all the meat and tomatoes later) fry until golden. Add ground beef, ground pork, sometimes if I don't have pork I just use beef. Put the meat in with veggies and fry it up. Add tomatoes. Let it all simmer on low flame at least two hours. Add a few garlic cloves after tomatoes are in (leave them whole and remember to take them out before serving). Add some boullion cubes. Add salt in the last 1/2 hour.

2nd Recipe

Besciamella

INGREDIENTS

Equal parts of:

Butter
    Flour
    Milk
    Salt
    Nutmeg

INSTRUCTIONS

Which is just a white sauce. Equal parts butter and flour and then add your milk all at once and let it thicken to a honey like consistency. I sprinkle a little salt and nutmeg on when I take it off the stove.

3rd Recipe

Lasagne

INGREDIENTS

Mom's Ragu Sauce
    Lassagne noddles
    Besciamella Sauce
    Parmiggiano Cheese

INSTRUCTIONS

So then you put down a layer of ragu (just enough to cover the bottom of your pan) then a layer of lasagne noddles (I like the Barilla brand and the no-boil type, so you just lay them in hard). Then the layers go ragu, besciamella, parmiggiano cheese sprinkled over that and then noodles again. You do that so you can have at least 4 layers of noddles, on the last layer of noodles put the ragu on top but no besciamella, and just parmesan. You can obuiously freeze this or bake it right away.

That is it. Hope it works out and you guys enjoy.
    ------
    Here is another one I love. This one came from a Resturant that closed down in Peabody Ks.

Name of it was Turkey Red.

Recipe: Grandpas Patty Melt

INGREDENTS:

2 slices rye bread
    1/3 pound of beef
    2 slices chedder cheese
    onions
    pickles

INSTRUCTIONS:

Toast Rye Bread. Butter both slices and assemble the sandwich.

It is that easy, but it was one of the best hamburgers I have ever had.

When ever we go back to see her mother, I cry because that place is closed down.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Hmmm.....

The patty melt looks good, I'll probably have to try it now...

My favorite recipe is Crunchy apple pie, I don't remember the exact recipe off the top of my head but it does include chunks of crunchy cinnamon sugar dried onto butter on top of the pie, I love apple pie needless to say.

Who doesn't like apple pie?

3. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

I hope you like them. Here is what my wife made last night:

Recipe:

First one: Papa Joe's Spaghetti Sauce

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons Olive oil
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    1 or more garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups canned Italian tomatoes, or fresh tomatoes
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
    2 to 3 fresh basil leaves
    1 to 3 teaspoons sugar, to taste
    pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

Heat olive oil in a large shillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 8 minutes, until they are soft and transparent. Add the tomatoes, tomatoe paste, parsley, basil, sugar to taste, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer fr about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. While the sauce is simmering make the meatballs.

Second one: Papa Joe's Italian Meatballs and Spaghetti

INGREDIENTS

Papa Joe's Spaghetti Sauce
    1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
    1/2 pound ground pork
    5 to 6 eggs, beaten
    1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
    1/2 cup Romano cheese, finely grated
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 to 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
    2 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
    1/4 cup water
    1 (16 ounce) package spaghetti
    1/4 cup Romano cheese, finely grated

INSTRUCTIONS

With your hands, thoroughly combine the ground beef, pork, nd 5 eggs. Add the remaining ingredients,mixing well. If the meat seams stiff, add the remaing egg. Shape the meat mixture into walnut-sized balls (approximately 1 1/2 inches in diameter). Drop the meatballs in to the simmering sauce, cover, and cook over low heat for 1 hour. To keep the meatballs from sticking to the pan, check them after 20 minutes and stir gently if needed. Skim any excess fat from the sauce. Boil the spaghetti in a large pot of water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and place it in a large serving bowl. Pour the meatballs and sauce over the spaghetti and toss gently. Sprinkle with Romano cheese.

I hope someone will like this as much as I do.