My dream to live in the USA

Please tell me if my reasons are stupid, dumb, or just plain wrong in any way.

1. I am a geek. And seeing as majority of technology breakthroughs, like Google Voice and the Android phones, are designed, engineered and released in the US, I would love being one of the first few to try it out rather then wait a few months before some distributor imports it.

2. I LOVE the Internet. Including online shopping. And I hate the fact that if I buy something from Amazon, the cheapest and slowest shipping to US is much faster and cheaper then the fastest shipping here. And I love eBay; and it's hard to get US buyers when you charge higher shipping rates and offer slowing shipping.

3. There is a lot of diversity there. From bungee jumping to skydiving, Hollywood to NYC, urban cities to rural towns, you name it, it's there. I love trying new things and right now it's kind of mundane. Because everywhere's the same. I think living in a quiet town is kind of cool, but living in a city like LA is awesome too.

4. The weather there's great. 4 seasons, that's much better then summer whole year round. Winter is cool!

5. All the goodies are there. Examples would be Disneyland (Woo!), Hollywood, Amazon and Ebay (See point 2).

So what'd you think? There are more but I can't think of any. But the above 5 pretty sum it all up. Please, no flaming! 'Cuz this is just a discussion thread! :p

JAdams

Registered Member
Please tell me if my reasons are stupid, dumb, or just plain wrong in any way.

1. I am a geek. And seeing as majority of technology breakthroughs, like Google Voice and the Android phones, are designed, engineered and released in the US, I would love being one of the first few to try it out rather then wait a few months before some distributor imports it.

2. I LOVE the Internet. Including online shopping. And I hate the fact that if I buy something from Amazon, the cheapest and slowest shipping to US is much faster and cheaper then the fastest shipping here. And I love eBay; and it's hard to get US buyers when you charge higher shipping rates and offer slowing shipping.

3. There is a lot of diversity there. From bungee jumping to skydiving, Hollywood to NYC, urban cities to rural towns, you name it, it's there. I love trying new things and right now it's kind of mundane. Because everywhere's the same. I think living in a quiet town is kind of cool, but living in a city like LA is awesome too.

4. The weather there's great. 4 seasons, that's much better then summer whole year round. Winter is cool!

5. All the goodies are there. Examples would be Disneyland (Woo!), Hollywood, Amazon and Ebay (See point 2).

So what'd you think? There are more but I can't think of any. But the above 5 pretty sum it all up. Please, no flaming! 'Cuz this is just a discussion thread! :p
They're not dumb at all. We would be glad to have you live with us in this wonderful country.

You also forgot national landmarks such as the Thomas Jefferson memorial, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Statue of Liberty, the National Archives.

Oh, and we have Mt. Saint Helens, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore.

We've got a lot of 'em. :) Come on over!

Last edited:
They're not dumb at all. We would be glad to have you live with us in this wonderful country.

You also forgot national landmarks such as the Thomas Jefferson memorial, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Statue of Liberty, the National Archives.

Oh, and we have Mt. Saint Helens, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore.

We've got a lot of 'em. :) Come on over!
Ahh, but I gotta confess I'm not one who knows how to appreciate historical values. Statue of Liberty is cool, I see it all the time in movies, Grand Canyon is wonderful and awesome. It's bigger than my whole country already :p

Some of your reasons are valid but most are dependent on where you will be emigrating from?
I agree! Some reasons are really bad, totally trivial and it'd be dumb to emigrate just because of those. Oh and I'm from Singapore. Right now my goal is to get in University of California, Berkeley, and maybe try to get a job at Google. Google is really cool!! :cool::cool:

I wonder if schools in US are less stressful. I watched a TV show on celebs travelling overseas, and the education in Holland is totally cool. They have exams like after 7 years of education and they play and learn about teamwork and life skills rather than books.

Right now I'm so stressed out over my exams :(

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Google is cool. Their headquarters is supposed to be leading the way in the 'green movement'. They have a bunch of cool stuff there.

I think US schools are stressful too, probably not as much as other countries' though.

Good luck getting into Cal. I have friends who go there. They say it's pretty ghetto, but hey, it's all about the education right?

hughes_collector

Registered Member
Well, it kinda depends on where in the US you'd be living. You said that where you are "everything's the same". Wait till you come here and find that nearly every town you see looks the same (not including big cities that each have their own unique style) with Wal-Marts, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, Best Buy, Burger King, KFC...everywhere. Strip malls in suburbia with all the same chain stores...everywhere.

Not that long ago, you could travel from one place to another and know you're in a new location. Now so many of them look alike, it's hard to tell the difference anymore.

A lot of times, the only way you can tell you've even crossed state lines is by looking at the license plates on the cars.

Sim

Registered Member
Hello fanonymous!

Good luck with your application in California! It's a great state, from what I can tell (although I've only seen few of it so far), a friend of mine lives there and from what I heard, it's a very colorful, open and modern state.

Just be careful when you travel to other regions of the country. I heard there are some spots where you could easily meet prejudices and suspicion when you come from a predominantly Muslim city, not all towns in America are used to foreigners. But I guess that's the same in any other country you might consider emigrating to.

California is maybe number 4 or 5 on my list of countries where I'd consider living if I had to leave my country. Great choice!

well, its amaizeing the like 9000 dream this month! you can move there just gain a Visa or Greencard!
Huh? Sorry I don't get you :shake:

Hello fanonymous!

Good luck with your application in California! It's a great state, from what I can tell (although I've only seen few of it so far), a friend of mine lives there and from what I heard, it's a very colorful, open and modern state.

Just be careful when you travel to other regions of the country. I heard there are some spots where you could easily meet prejudices and suspicion when you come from a predominantly Muslim city, not all towns in America are used to foreigners. But I guess that's the same in any other country you might consider emigrating to.

California is maybe number 4 or 5 on my list of countries where I'd consider living if I had to leave my country. Great choice!
My dad told me that California has LOTS of foreigners so there will be like less discrimination :p

Well, it kinda depends on where in the US you'd be living. You said that where you are "everything's the same". Wait till you come here and find that nearly every town you see looks the same (not including big cities that each have their own unique style) with Wal-Marts, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, Best Buy, Burger King, KFC...everywhere. Strip malls in suburbia with all the same chain stores...everywhere.

Not that long ago, you could travel from one place to another and know you're in a new location. Now so many of them look alike, it's hard to tell the difference anymore.

A lot of times, the only way you can tell you've even crossed state lines is by looking at the license plates on the cars.
Speaking of Walmart... :) I just thought of another reason to add to my first post :D. As I said I like trying new things, and just a few months back I wanted to try building a ramjet based on the Maggie Muggs design. In the original instructions it says use JB Weld; and from what I infer from Googling it's very common and you can buy JB Weld from like Walmart and lots of stores.

Would you believe I resorted to buying it off eBay at $20SGD? That's like close to $15 USD! :mad:

Google is cool. Their headquarters is supposed to be leading the way in the 'green movement'. They have a bunch of cool stuff there.

I think US schools are stressful too, probably not as much as other countries' though.

Good luck getting into Cal. I have friends who go there. They say it's pretty ghetto, but hey, it's all about the education right?
UCB is supposed to be the 2nd best technology college after MIT. Go Google!