My Dog Tries To "Herd" Me

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Twitch, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

When I run with my dog, usually on the leash, she tries to "herd" me. She runs in front of me and turns her head, then jumps up and growls at me. I know she's playing, her trail is wagging the whole time, but it's hard to play with her when she does this.

Any one know any solutions?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Wrestle her to the ground and tell her no. She'll lose the "alpha dog" complex pretty fast. :lol:

And by wrestle, I don't mean in a painful way. Just grab her and make her lie down in a controlling manner, basically. Then look her in the eyes and give her a stern "NO".

3. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

Fair enough. I'll try it next time I'm out with her.

Thanks.

4. viLky

viLky ykLiv

My cat does a similar thing: I'll be walking down the hall, the cat will run past me, slow down in front of me and come to a complete stop. I'm like "WTF cat, why you stop." Then I'll end up going around it or stepping over it to get by. I have no idea why it always does that. Very inconvenient. Hehe

Does the wrestling thing work for cats, too? =D

Impact likes this.
  5. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

On top of that, you should add a command to it as well. For my dog, I would tell him no and "off".

Once I trained him for that, the command "off" worked in a lot more ways than one. If he tried to jump onto the furniture, or anything like that. He now correlates the word "off" with...hey, I'm not supposed to be right there.

I used "off" because "down" was used as a command for him to lay down.

6. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

Yeah, we also say 'off' for mostly everything.

7. AnitaKnapp

Well then, this might be easier than you think if you guys already use that command and apply it to this situation.

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Haha I've run into that a few times only in a bad way. If one command is already used up then for the most part dogs aren't able to learn that one word means two completely different things. I taught my dogs to "shake" (hands) and then later on was trying to teach them to "shake", like the way dogs do when they are wet. Well, that didn't go so well. It caused confusion. :lol:

What Anita said basically. If "Off" is your "No" word, or it will work the same then substitute that.

9. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

When you did the hands thing, you should have just said "paw".

That's how my dogs know it.

10. AnitaKnapp

Yeah. It has to mean essentially the same thing, or it would be confusing. lol

You taught shake? Lame. My dog does "high 5".