• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

My $300 Power Supply Has Died

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ironically my last dead power supply thread was made on 05-12-2007, 01:22 AM... less than a year ago.

I just lost my $400 power supply I bought around a year ago to replace the one that had died... Luckily I have a lifetime warranty this time around.

Pretty ridiculous though and very annoying.

I'm stuck on my old PC until I get it fixed. The worst thing is that I bought it at CompUSA which has since gone out of business...

:urp:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I didn't know CompuUSA went out of business. That sucks.

I remember when your other PS died. You said you weren't going to have any problems after that, heh. I'm running on a 150 watt one (maybe less) and its been good to me for some time now.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah CompUSA went out of business complete. Every store is gone now. They were closing up places over the past few years and I guess they just decided to throw in the towel. Their website was purchased by another company that wants to keep it going as an online only store. Warranties from the original store aren't honored through the web store though. You have to go to some third party something or other to get those.

Anyway luckily this power supply has a lifetime manufacturers warranty. Unfortunately I have to send it in and it coudl take up to 2 weeks to get a replacement. I'm forced to go out and buy a spare in the meantime because I can't go 2 weeks without my main pc.

WTF? $300 for a powersupply? What are the specs? How many amps on the 12v rail?
It seems kinda expensive to me. For less than €100 I could get a Zalman ZM600-HP 600 watt psu and it's modulair too.

What do you have in your computer that needs such an expensive psu?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well this was an 800 Watt power supply. I left it on literally 24/7 since I installed it last year but I do that with the computer I'm using right now and the power supply has been good for years. :(
------
Well it turned out CompUSA was still open here so I stopped by today and happened to find the same power supply for only $100. Gotta love going out of business sales. :)

This one has the same lifetime warranty too so as long as it works I'm good to go. Now I'll just have a spare I guess.

Last edited: