• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mutual funds

JimColyer

Registered Member
My dad lost money in mutual funds, and I am suspicious of them. Should I be?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, you should always be suspicious. Do your homework, do your research, and make sure you know what you are getting into.

Lastly, while mutual funds are generally slow movers, they can be effected just the same as the rest of the market. Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to stocks and investing, so you have to be sure to test your waters, and keep money aside should anything go wrong.

As the saying goes, "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket."

What funds did he lose money in?

leopard22

Registered Member
One place I worked for 6 years had a great IRA program, where they matched up to 8% of your gross salary, so I of course put the full 8% in. Couldn't afford to put any more in, but wanted to get full advantage of the company's match.

Anyway, we had 4 mutual funds to choose from - 1 guaranteed, 1 very low risk, 1 medium risk and 1 high risk. You could put all or part of your funds into these. As this was a few years ago, I don't even know if the same funds exist, but the medium risk one was dynamite. We usually were making about 16% a quarter on it, though every once in awhile, we'd lose about 16% in a quarter. Still overall it was the best of the bunch.

One thing I couldn't understand is why anyone would go for the guaranteed rate (it was a few percent per year). It's not like anyone there was on their last legs and couldn't take any risk, but some people who were otherwise not idiots wouldn't even take part in the program to get even 1% of their salary matched.

Since I was forced to take out my IRA and split the proceeds with my ex (don't go there :mad: ), I haven't dabbled in mutual funds at all.

Are they still a good place to invest or does playing the market itself generally work out better?