• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Muslim maternity trousers

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Mamapride trousers were developed by a team of 19 health care workers - five of them women - from the Malaysian medical charity Papisma, in response to religious scholars concerned about women being exposed to male doctors and interns.
http://news.yahoo.com/muslim-maternity-trousers-may-pose-medical-risk-fuel-013354212.html

I can't believe the ridiculous things women have to put up with because of religion. A pair of trousers to give birth in. A small hole for the baby to shoot out. If they are so afraid of a male doctor seeing a vagina then educate more women to be doctors. Of course I guess you would be afraid she might see a penis.

This is not only a dumb idea but risky to women and babies. What if a emergency happens? I guess her not being exposed is more important.

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
In some places they aren't, not even when it comes to childbirth. Some are so afraid women are going to show an ankle and drive men wild.

I'm not against modesty but when its this extreme its stupid.

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
Is it modesty though? Or the man asserting 'ownership' over the woman? i.e. no one may see her, only him.
Sad to say, in many parts of the Muslim World women are little more than chattels.

There was a programme on the BBC a while back on women wearing full head to toe veils with face coverings in Kabul.
They said being molested/touched when they went out to the market to buy food was a regular occurrence ...
So, I think its the men with the problem!

A very sad situation either way.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Its men with the problem and it stems from Islam and the clerics. It seems like they have a god complex. I guess they feel the need to keep someone beat down and for them that is women, and of course the non believers, makes them feel more important than they really are.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I am a firm advocate for modesty in society, which seems to be going the way of the dinosaur, but all things within reason. If there are legitimate medical concerns related to a garment, then the garment should not be in use. Period. Health and safety trump modesty. However, as far as other garments with religious significance, women should not be demonized for wearing them. Western people often do not understand that covering up is not necessarily about shame. If being a woman, to you, means strutting around half naked, go for it, but don't project your values upon people whose customs are very different from your own. Except for purposes of identification (passport photo, border checks, etc.) I have no problem with Berkahs <sp?> and such. Let Muslims be Muslims. I actually understand and respect the tradition.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am a firm advocate for modesty in society, which seems to be going the way of the dinosaur, but all things within reason. If there are legitimate medical concerns related to a garment, then the garment should not be in use. Period. Health and safety trump modesty. However, as far as other garments with religious significance, women should not be demonized for wearing them. Western people often do not understand that covering up is not necessarily about shame. If being a woman, to you, means strutting around half naked, go for it, but don't project your values upon people whose customs are very different from your own. Except for purposes of identification (passport photo, border checks, etc.) I have no problem with Berkahs <sp?> and such. Let Muslims be Muslims. I actually understand and respect the tradition.

- Cham
I agree if it is their free will to cover their head, or whatever, its their choice. My problem comes in when they are forced to do it or treated badly if they don't.

Women in some countries can be treated horrible during childbirth by caregivers and doctors. It doesn't state which countries but I can imagine. No wonder some women want the pants.

http://news.yahoo.com/worldwide-women-often-face-abuse-during-childbirth-144822944.html

Crypticshock

Registered Member
It's the men trying to live their life like their greatest human ever made, their Prophet. He never let his wives outside the house without being covered, and yes I said wives, so these fanatics must do their best to be just like him. The whole Burkah issue is disgusting. An Hijab can do it's purpose - a burkah is oppressive. Why is an hijab perfectly fine for the majority of Muslims but in areas controlled by ISIS and Taliban - the Burkah is forced? Not an option. It's mandatory, punishment for those that do not comply.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Burka, Hijab... What really is the difference? It is a part of the religious beliefs of a number of cultures for women to cover their faces in public and to maintain a high level of modesty. While I find it a bit excessive, if it is a womans choice to honor such traditions, then I support that. In many cultures it is expected that women be subservient to men. If this is done by choice rather than oppression, then I support that also, and not because I am male. The problem is that women often face almost as much grief over honoring their religious dress code in our culture as they do for not honoring it in theirs. How is that fair and democratic? How is that "multicultural"?

Women who choose to surrender their will to their husband, rather than being forced to, as a means of honoring a religiously mandated social hierarchy, in spite of criticism and condemnation from those not of the religion, are not weak willed individuals, but quite the contrary. They face the slings and arrows of an outraged public who for the most part find concepts like public modesty and religious devotion alien and therefore like to put different labels upon it. Shame, oppression, mindless obedience, etc. For some these may indeed be the motives, but for others it may not be. Who are we, as outsiders to their ways, culture, religion, and personal circumstances to judge? Let people wear Turbans, Burka's, Hajib's, or clown noses for all I care, if it makes them happy. I've been judged many times on account of my long hair for being a rebel, a punk, a ne'er-do-well. I just like how I look with long hair and absolutely hate the feeling of draft on the back of my neck. :D Some people like to butt their noses into the business of people they don't even know in order to push their personal point of view. I mind my own business, and when it comes to what people wear, as long as it isn't indecent or profane (or unsafe), I could personally not care less.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The problem is it is usually forced on women by men. Children don't elect to marry old men and be raped by them it is forced on them. Women don't have the option not to cover their heads or whole body with a Burka in many Muslim countries they are made to. In these same countries you can kill your wife and as long as a family member forgives you your free to kill your next wife when you find someone else you would rather have.

Reactions: Sim