Muslim family victim of paranoia on plane

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A Muslim family removed from an airliner Thursday after passengers became concerned about their conversation say AirTran officials refused to rebook them, even after FBI investigators cleared them of wrongdoing.

Atif Irfan said federal authorities removed eight members of his extended family and a friend after passengers heard them discussing the safest place to sit and misconstrued the nature of the conversation.

Irfan, a U.S. citizen and tax attorney, said he was "impressed with the professionalism" of the FBI agents who questioned him, but said he felt mistreated when the airline refused to book the family for a later flight.

'Safest' seat remarks get Muslim family kicked off plane - CNN.com
Amazing how freakishly bigoted and paranoid our society has become to the point where even if the FBI says you're okay you still get booted off a flight.

BigBob

Registered Member
I remember reading about this a day or so ago.

ALL MUSLIMS ARE TERRORISTS!

...at least that's what it seems like the Government is trying to tell us.

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Seems some people still have that paranoia, hopefully more people become aware that all Muslims aren't bad people.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
People are ignorant assholes, what else would you expect? My buddy Nosferatu Alucard is Iranian and he's dealt with bullshit like this before. It's all trained paranoia.

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
This one came out today as well.

AN airline passenger forced to cover his T-shirt because it displayed Arabic script has been awarded $337,000 in compensation.
Raed Jarrar received the pay out from two US Transportation Security Authority officials and from JetBlue Airways following the August 2006 incident at New York's JFK Airport.
"The outcome of this case is a victory for free speech and a blow to the discriminatory practice of racial profiling," said Aden Fine, a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

Source: Passenger wins pay out after Arab T-shirt ban | Travel News | News.com.au

It is just getting ridiculous these days.

It sucks when you can't even wear a T-shirt with another language on it, but that's the price we pay for living in a xenophobic, paranoid and completely twisted society.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Amazing how freakishly bigoted and paranoid our society has become to the point where even if the FBI says you're okay you still get booted off a flight.
Shows too how much trust people have on the FBI these days. :lol:

Oh and those T-shirts...ugh. I had a thread before about the ridiculous reasons people weren't allowed on the plane, including having a Transformer robot carrying a weapon, as your t-shirt design. Seriously. The robot has a gun!!!!