Music's Bitrate?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Psyco, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Psyco

Psyco Food Whore

I was wondering what was the lowest bit rate you audiophiles go with your music. I rip all of my music at 320kbps, but i'll go as low as 192. The thing i hate is that i can only find songs in 128kbps most of the time. (A typical cd is encoded at 1440kbps, but no one can really tell the difference between that and a really good cd rip.)

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I always ALWAYS no matter what rip at 320kbps. Why? Because I am picky and I can't stand listening to music that sounds like it's coming out of a tin can or from underwater.

I won't even listen to anything at under 192 and even that bugs me at times. There is really nothing that annoys me more about driving with friends than if they have a bad quality CD playing in their car... Oh man. I can't take it. Some of them don't care or don't seem to notice either and that is even worse.

Are you sure about 1440kbps for a standard CD? Most ripping software only goes up to 320?

3. Psyco

Psyco Food Whore

After looking it up, its actually 1411.2kbps. mp3 only rip up to 320kbps. Flac, on the other hand could be ANYTHING, from 0 to the bit rate of the source.

4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I usually get 320 just because I know it's better but my speakers are so bad that it doesn't actually matter until you get to the point where the song skips and doesn't play correctly. 128 is okay for me, I don't have very many songs that aren't either 320 or 128 but they are mostly 320 I do have one song at 1411 too bad my speakers make it not matter or else I would care about the bit rate a lot more.

5. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Most of what I download is around 192, and I rip at 192 to keep the quality consistent between songs (I listen to a lot on random)./

6. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

I don't know yet, I don't download to many songs and stuff.

7. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Once you get above 128 you're not really gonna notice much of a difference unless you have top of the line speakers.

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I have Bose satellite speakers and base box on my PC but it was only $30 for the set. Picked them up used from a guy at one of my old jobs. Turned out they were easily worth the $30. They still sound perfect 5 years later.

9. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

That was a steal for Bose speakers.

I've always liked high quality audio, but my speakers are well over 20 years old.

10. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Did they have computer speakers way back in the mid 80's? that seems a little old unless you are running them through a stereo.