• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Music in Video Games

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This is along the same lines of my 'Stories in Video Games' thread...

Music seems to be very important to a lot of people, and plays a large part in movies and TV. Increasingly so, video games have been adapting original music that has matched the epicness of whatever the game entailed.

So the questions are...

- What is your favorite game soundtrack? Why?
- Is there even a certain song that you know by name and love?
- What do you think is the best use of music in a video game? Worst?

Zenheizer

needs practice
Castlevania has always had amazing music in their games.
Zelda too. Nintendo classic games always create memorable and catchy tunes.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.

dDave

V.I.P.
This is along the same lines of my 'Stories in Video Games' thread...

Music seems to be very important to a lot of people, and plays a large part in movies and TV. Increasingly so, video games have been adapting original music that has matched the epicness of whatever the game entailed.

So the questions are...

- What is your favorite game soundtrack? Why?
- Is there even a certain song that you know by name and love?
- What do you think is the best use of music in a video game? Worst?
We've had tons of similar threads to this... oh well...;)

-My favorite soundtrack may sound obscure but don't judge until you've heard it, and it is.... Pitfall The Mayan Adventure (For PC), seriously this game just had incredible music. The game itself is awesome and then there's the music. :lick: I would call it some of the best music ever, it's that awesome. If you haven't played this game then you're missing out, the soundtrack comes on the game disc which is like $4 on ebay now so go and buy it!

-Other honorable mentions
*Perfect Dark 64 (I had to debate between this one and Pitfall)
*Donkey Kong 64
*Mario 64
*StarCraft
*Goldeneye 007
*Zelda (any of them really but especially the two for N64)
*StarFox 64
*Metroid Prime
*Sonic The Hedgehog
*Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine
*NIGHTS into Dreams (Sheerly incredible music)

-Song that I know by name and love? it's called "dataDyne Action" on the Perfect Dark soundtrack it's a really awesome song to say the least.

-The best use of music in a video game is to just have unique music for each part of the game, for example Zelda had unique music for all of the dungeons and areas, and of course the music must be quality. I really hate it when the music is just not fitting the mood of the game, it's pretty rare when it happens but I've caught it a few times in several games

EDIT - I forgot about my REAL favorite soundtrack until just now, so I edited it.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Metroid Prime is my favorite game soundtrack. I'm sure I love it more because it's my favorite game, but honestly the music is one of the reasons I love the game so much, so it goes both ways. Each area had music that fit the environment and mood perfectly.

Konshentz

Konshentz
My favorite video game soundtrack is probably a tie between Uncharted & Uncharted 2. I thought the music really fit the game well and added to the experience.

No, nothing that I know by name without looking it up and I doubt I'd every listen to any of it outside playing the actual game.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
My favorite video game soundtrack is probably a tie between Uncharted & Uncharted 2. I thought the music really fit the game well and added to the experience.

No, nothing that I know by name without looking it up and I doubt I'd every listen to any of it outside playing the actual game.
This is pretty much the same for me. Although I did really love the music for Assassin's Creed 2. And most of the Final Fantasy games have awesome soundtracks.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
1- My favorite Video game soundtrack is probably FFXIII. Then followed by FFVIII, Shadows of the colossus, valkyrie profile 2 and The elder scrolls IV.

Final fantasy has always an amazing soundtrack, as they work with great compositors like yoko shimomura, uematsu, Hamauzu and the Duo Sakimoto\Iwata.

The elder scrolls is marked by the fantastic synthesizer Jeremy soule which returns with Skyrim.

2- Yes i usually know the names of the themes i enjoy, mostly because i collect OST's. I would make a list here of favorites but it would probably reach the hundreds ^^

3- For me a great Soundtrack doesn't have to be memorable, it doesnt even have to make sense. Great composition lies in holding the atmosphere of the game through sound effects and the lack of it in certain moments. Thats not to say there shouldn't be fully made tracks of course. I prefer them to be orchestrated for most parts, im not too fond of 16 bit midi tracks.

dDave

V.I.P.
Alright here are some samples from my favorite soundtrack (which I've now edited.)

My personal three favorites. They were actually able to make epic enough levels to fit this music.

Water Levels
YouTube - Pitfall The Mayan Adventure - Jaina Island Falls

Jungle (this is pretty good)
YouTube - Pitfall The Mayan Adventure - Ceiba Jungle

And if you're into intense Electric guitar you should like this one a lot.
YouTube - Pitfall The Mayan Adventure - Tazamul Mines

16 years later I still like this music a lot, and that's saying something.