Music Censorship

Twitch

Registered Member
For some reason, this is starting to really get at me. Why does the radio have the right to blank out swears or otherwise.. risque material from music?

And example is the song I was listening to in the car, "Best I Ever Had" by Drake. Normally, the chorus goes;

"You the fuckin' best, You the fuckin' best, You the fuckin' best, You the fuckin' best, you the best I ever had, best I ever had.."

But on the radio, it goes;

"You the you the best, You the you the best..."

Another example is the song "Paper Planes" by M.I.A. Normally, the chorus goes;

"All I wanna do is BANGBANGBANGBANG and (reload noise) CHACHING and take your money.."

On the radio, it goes;

"All I wanna do is (not even sure what the sound is, sounds like) TSHTSHTSHTSH and (weird spacey noise) CHACHING and take your money.."

I just feel that blocking out certain things on the radio just isn't American. Children are going to exposed to it sooner or later, and it's just words. Parents can still punish their kids accordingly if they swear, it shouldn't matter if they hear it in a song.

Discuss.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
When they actually have to change the lyrics or a stylistic element of the song, then I have a problem with that. I understand covering up an occasional F word with a disc scratch or brief silence, but actually altering the song really bugs me.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I would have more of a problem with it if contemporary music actually tried to resemble art. :-/ When musicians are fucking this and fucking that for no other reason than to have the word fuck in their song as many times as possible (which even the most undiscerning mind could recognize as a ploy to sell CD's), I can't say I really care at all --> It's not like there's any real substance to be destroyed in the first place.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I did feel like the use of fuck so many times was a bit unnecessary, but I never heard the song before, so I gave it the benefit of the doubt that the artist made it work. :lol:

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I did feel like the use of fuck so many times was a bit unnecessary, but I never heard the song before, so I gave it the benefit of the doubt that the artist made it work. :lol:
Oh, I'm not talking about any specific song, either; just the topic in general.

Certainly, many fucks are warranted and welcome in music, just as long as serve some sort of purpose aside from weak shock-value.

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I'm not a big fan of people changing songs. Don't get me started on my rant about artists that try to 'redo' old songs *cough*iceicebabyisshit*cough*. This sensoring thing though, I'm kind of meh on the topic. It's their radio station, and if they don't want certain content being aired, then it's their right. Although, changing the song is not right, they should just not play the song at all really.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm a strong believer that censorship just breeds weak people. It teaches people that words hurt which is idiotic. People don't realize that we allow ourselves to be hurt and buying into this kind of politically correct bullshit makes your life worse. I've heard some ridiculous words censored. Hell, I heard "pistol" censored.

Saliva - "Always"

Now I see
the blood all over your hands
Does it make you feel
more like a man?
Was it all
just a part of your plan?
The pistol's shaking in my hands and all I hear is the sound

Yeah. They bleeped out "pistol" when that song was on the radio.

Fuck the FCC and fuck this country. Freedom of speech my dick.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I see no problem censoring out swear words...but everything else just seems lame to censor. BTW Twitch, the local radio I listen to doesn't edit that Paper Planes song you were talking about.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I see no problem censoring out swear words...but everything else just seems lame to censor. BTW Twitch, the local radio I listen to doesn't edit that Paper Planes song you were talking about.
Me neither. I don't see what's wrong with a little bit of civility on public airwaves. Nobody is going to censor CDs, youtube, MTV, rhapsody, apple or the million other places you can listen to songs about banging f'n hos.

Plus, its the artist that re-record the songs without the foul language so they can get on the air. Its not like they have any allegiance beyond making another buck.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Me neither. I don't see what's wrong with a little bit of civility on public airwaves. Nobody is going to censor CDs, youtube, MTV, rhapsody, apple or the million other places you can listen to songs about banging f'n hos.
See that's just ignorant though. Not all censorship is about "banging f'n hos" it's about the government deciding what you can and cannot hear on the radio. It's about the sincerity and intensity of an art being removed because people have convinced themselves that some words are worse than others. Yes, there is probably not much artistic merit in 95% of rap music like you eloquently pointed out, but not all censored music is about skanky sex and drugs. We still have to protect that 5%.

Also, I paraphrase George Carlin when he spoke about a reverend in Mississippi who heard something on the radio he didn't like and then complained to the government. "Hey reverend, did anybody ever tell you there are two knobs on the radio?"

Don't like it? Change it. Don't force the rest of us to suffer from watered down radio programming and music just because a few people get teary eyed when they hear the f-word.

Plus, its the artist that re-record the songs without the foul language so they can get on the air. Its not like they have any allegiance beyond making another buck.
They don't re-record anything. Words are digitally removed or replaced. Also, you make it sound like all musicians are out to get rich and well, that's just plain wrong and we both know that.