music and politics

Discussion in 'Music' started by ExpectantlyIronic, Apr 7, 2008.

1. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

This thread was inspired by the Green Day thread. Music and politics are old friends. From national anthems to protest songs, music has been used to invoke everything from jingoistic fervor to anti-establishment rage. What do you think of this business? Do you see such music as propaganda or self-expression? Are there any political sentiments that are off limits (e.g. racist views)? What political songs do you like and which do you dislike?

2. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Somethings when I'm in the mood I feel like listening to Pennywise - F*uck America. Not that I'm anti-America or anything of the sort, I just enjoy venting with the help of m~usic.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

So my comment has given birth to a new thread? Never thought I'd be a grandfather.

I just think it's annoying when political agendas are obviously painted over lyrics because it makes me feel like people are just trying to win their fans over to their side of the political spectrum.

I have nothing against expression and what not, it's just when it is poorly done that it's annoying to hear.

4. Corona

Corona Registered Member

Music is expression, if an artist wants to put their beliefs in their music, that's fine, but I don't have to listen to it.

This thread makes me think of El Salvador by Peter, Paul, and Mary. It's actually not too bad of a song.

5. ExpectantlyIronic

Hear are some such songs that are pretty solid:

Pull Up the People
    - M.I.A.
    "You no like the people, they no like you / Then they go and set it off / With a big Boom"
    Given that M.I.A. has ties (through blood if not ideology) with the Tamil Tiger rebel/terrorist group, this song is somewhat creepy, particularly since it does speak to me.

God Bless the U.S.A. - Lee Greenwood
    "
    And I’m proud to be an American, / where at least I know I’m free. / And I wont forget the men who died, / who gave that right to me."
    I learned to hate this song due to being played repeatedly after 9/11. It's nevertheless a powerful song, and I don't know how someone could listen to it and not feel patriotic. If they're an American, that is.

Let Them Eat War - Bad Religion
    "Seize a few dollars from the people who sweat / Cause it's freedom or death and they won't question it"
    I've had a lot of friends join the military because they didn't know what else to do with their lives, so this song really speaks to me.

One - Metallica
    "Now that the war is through with me / Im waking up I can not see / That there is not much left of me / Nothing is real but pain now"
    The first album I ever bought was "... And Justice for All", and this song no doubt shaped how I think about war.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  6. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

EI, I hate the Lee Greenwood song. I have no control over having been born American, so how can I be proud of it? Also, the "god bless the USA" bit - why are we so special that we deserve blessing? ugh. sorry, I hate it.

I love the more political SOAD songs - Boom!, B.Y.O.B., Fuck the System, etc.

Did you guys know that Woody Guthrie wrote "This Land Is Your Land" as a left-wing protest song? It's actually meant to be ironic.

7. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

The only thing I have to say is I hate it when rappers try to argue against prejudice ideals in the same song that they say "nigger" in 40 times. Stupid.

8. juha82

juha82 Registered Member

I know one Finnish Punk band which assigns their opinion about very outspokenly.

9. ExpectantlyIronic

According to David Bowie, God is an American, so I imagine that he (God, not David Bowie) just puts all the best people here. Hence, you can be proud that you were pre-determined to be a best people prior to being so. Listen, Bowie said it, not me, so there's nothing I can do about it.

10. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

I cant tell if your being sarcastic EI...