• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Muscle Memory

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
I was driving my car today, which is an automatic transmission, and I after pulling onto a road quickly I found my right hand immediately go to the shifter in the "light-touch ready position" to shift. It happens a few times per month. I haven't driven a manual transmission (regularly) for 3 years, but I learned to drive on one 8 years ago. :lol:

Q: Does anyone else find themselves with recurring muscle memory or habits that haven't been needed for years?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Hammering nails. I rarely pull nails out of boards or hammer much the last few years. However, as a kid, I did it all the time. So even now, I find myself having an easy time flipping the hammer around and such. I just do it naturally.

Starfire86

Registered Member
I do it with a lot of things, but the one I do the most is playing the piano. It's almost like my body is on autopilot, and while I'm off thinking about something it's playing a song, then I become more aware of my hands and forget what I'm even playing :lol:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Listen to my muscle memory
Contemplate what I've been clinging to

:headbanger:

I still do that sometimes when I'm driving, and I haven't driven a clutch in a year.

When I was married, I had a habit of turning my ring with my thumb, and I think it was months after we split up before the surprise of it not being there wore off.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Sometimes when I first jump into bed, my hands find their way into my pants without me noticing.

Now for my serious answer! I actually haven't had an instance like that. Unless you count using the wrong controls when playing a video that you haven't played in a while? Sometimes I mix them up.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Yes, I will suddenly use keyboard key combinations on my laptop that were used only on Nixdorf data entry systems. I quit that job in 1990.

Dabs

Registered Member
I was driving my car today, which is an automatic transmission, and I after pulling onto a road quickly I found my right hand immediately go to the shifter in the "light-touch ready position" to shift. It happens a few times per month. I haven't driven a manual transmission (regularly) for 3 years, but I learned to drive on one 8 years ago. :lol:

Q: Does anyone else find themselves with recurring muscle memory or habits that haven't been needed for years?
Something similar Steg. I drive an automatic, but it's in the center of the console, and I always rest my hand on the gear shift as I drive even. Occasionally I have driven someone else's vehicle (like I used to drive my Mother's van when I took her to the doctor) and if it's an automatic on the steering column, my hand will still go downward towards the center floorboard, reaching for a gearshift that isn't there. I definitely could never get used to driving a car with the gears on the column again.