Murphy's Law

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Boredie, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

How often does this law get you?
    Is it inevitable? Or do we create the situation by believing in the outcome?

2. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

God damn it.

Exmple.

[​IMG]

See the curved line of speaking hanging from the ceiling? I was helping set one of those up...and we forgot to give it power. Yes, thats right, we forgot to plug the fucking thing in.

Shit like that always happens to me so not only do I think this law is true, but its out for my ass.

FYI, we had a scissor lift, so we got to fix it.

:)

3. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I always just assume something is going to go wrong because it most always does. Such is my life and it sucks but it is what it is.

Boredie likes this.
  4. mermaidboy

mermaidboy Registered Member

I'm inclined to think that everything in life has multiple points of failure, and since Murphy's Law is a law that most of us can be very sure does indeed exist, it is constantly getting us. As I type this, I'm sure several things are going wrong right now that will affect me in the near or distant future.

5. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

What do you guys think about the idea that you are in charge of your life? Meaning that if you decide something will go a certain way it will be so. Hence, your negative thoughts are actually what causes the law to take place.

6. mermaidboy

mermaidboy Registered Member

I think that goes into the realm of quantum science and chaos that the undeveloped brain of a high school junior cannot so easily comprehend. I find the idea interesting, though. This would make it a matter of pessimism vs. optimism vs. capitalism.

If I were to say that things in life are inherently doomed to eventual malfunction I would be a pessimist, but if I flipped that notion on its head and said that things can go bad simply because we somehow create or allow for the possibility of that on some level, that would be fairly optimistic. If I believe that some aspects of my life are in my control and some aren't, and that some people will inevitably have it worse than others, I am a capitalist. I, for one, belong in the last camp with a little influence from the first.:)

7. FulgurousWind

FulgurousWind Registered Member

For me, it seems like bad things happen randomly every once in a while. For instance, I recently fell split my shin (needed stiches) when I was jumping up some rocks to get to my back door instead of going around the normal way lol. Anyways, i fell, but i didnt plan on that happening. There were also times where bad things have happened, but only because i was focused on that outcome (i think revenge might be one of those times).

8. AdrienneEHouseman

AdrienneEHouseman Registered Member

I jokingly refer to Murphy's Law on a regular basis. It's basically a tip of my hat to the point that the more points of failure there are the more likely something is to go horribly wrong, and the more humans are involved the more likely that point of failure is to be stupidity.

AEH

9. Hi_Im_Tim

Hi_Im_Tim I am Heavy Weapons Guy

I joke about Murphy's law but I know it is not true.

Certainly not everything that can go wrong will go wrong.

10. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Some days it certainly seems like everything that can go wrong will go wrong. I think it's just easier to notice the things that go wrong than the thing that don't, so it just seems like everything is going wrong when it really isn't.