• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Multiple Keys for one Windows XP License?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have heard that it is possible to call Microsoft and get a second key to install Windows XP on a laptop? Can anyone else confirm if this is true?

It's either that or I have to go buy a 4th copy of XP...

Julie

Registered Member
I've never heard of that one before. Can't you just install the one you have with the key code you have? Here we have the same key code on both computers, but we're also connected thru Linksys...so I think it's the same IP addy on both computers if I'm not mistaken & maybe that's why I can get away with having it on both.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I am not sure. I thought that you could install Windows XP on a desktop computer and a laptop. I would probably contact Microsoft and see what they had to say about that.

member357

Julie said:
I've never heard of that one before. Can't you just install the one you have with the key code you have? Here we have the same key code on both computers, but we're also connected thru Linksys...so I think it's the same IP addy on both computers if I'm not mistaken & maybe that's why I can get away with having it on both.

I have had used a keycode for like a microsoft product on my laptop and and my pc , but not sure if you are allowe with an os........

Albey

Registered Member
I'v used a keycode for a few different computers. Just don't register it ;)

leopard22

Registered Member
Albey said:
I'v used a keycode for a few different computers. Just don't register it ;)
I'll pretend I didn't read that :D

I think it's going to become more difficult to bypass putting the OS on every computer. At times when I've had security updates for XP, I've been prompted to have my OS verified to make sure "someone didn't sell you a computer without a valid license" (they put it nicely so you can be a victim). I think this check process is still optional, but I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft finds a way to make it a required part of the process. Of course, they keep phasing out additional updates to older OS versions, so maybe it will become a non-issue with time.