Multiculturalism

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by ysabel, Sep 24, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

When the residents or citizens of a country come from many different traditions, religion, culture, should they give up their heritage as an expression of their willingness to "integrate" into mainstream society and share one national identity OR should the society be strong enough to accommoate numerous cultures within it and try to gain from the diversity?

2. padd

padd Registered Member

No, they shouldn't give up their heritage. they should keep their heritage without shoving it down other people's throats. #1, They should work.. contrairement tout les immigrants du continent sud de la mer mediterane.. a Paris. Prostitution, Drogue, vol qualifie, criminalite.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

People should keep their heritage, but be tolerant of what others believe and where they come from. If people just assimilate, then eventually, you just have one gray blob of nothing. Nameless, sourceless traditions with no diversity. Call me nuts, but I prefer diversity to a sheep herd.

4. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I live in Manitoba, a VERY multicultural province in Canada. Other parts of Canada lean heavily on one heritage or another as far as I've seen, but in Manitoba, I've seen so many different heritages. Chinese, German, Dutch, Jewish, Ukranian etc etc etc. Hudderites and stuff too. Oh, and french and spanish too. Can't forget the Native americans too. I've seen it all mesh together pretty well. I've also seen it not mesh so well. The thing with lots of people in manitoba is that even if we have a problem with something, we'd much rather complain about it to a friend than actually do something about it. So I hardly see much in the way of a chinese man being beaten on the street, or a some guy taunting a french guy for his accent. We'll just pick something we don't like about whatever heritage, apply a stereotype, make a few jokes among friends, a few complaints and move on. I don't know if that is the definition of multiculturalism, but it's working better than what used to exist so I don't mind it.

5. Duke1985

Duke1985 EatsApplePieShitsFreedom

No one should ever have to give up there heritatage to be accepted into society. They can do whatever they want as proudly as they wish.

6. Merc

I don't think there's any problem with cultures living aside one another, I just don't like the whole "assimilation" thing because to me, that's like asking us to ignore our differences when in truth, there's nothing wrong with having them.

Boredie likes this.
  7. Smelnick

Another part of multiculturalism (love the amount of isms i've read about today =P) is the aspect of people rejecting the different ones. Many people can come up with tons of reasons that multiculturalism is a bad thing, but what are some of the good things that multiculturalism brings?

8. Merc

It lets people learn about each other deeper than they normally would. It basically makes people more rounded, tolerant people. Learning where someone comes from and the traditions they follow increases your understanding of them which I'd bet correlates directly with your ability to appreciate and respect them.

9. Smelnick

Good point. I suppose I should play a little devil's advocate so as to incite some deeper conversation than "multiculturalism is bad. NOOOO, it's good, so there!" =P However, I can't think of anything right now since I total support multiculturalism, but I'll think of something and get back to you later.

10. Merc

Face it, the unknown is frightening. When you don't know enough about something, it can be intimidating and cause you to react in strange ways. You begin to assume or group people together to give yourself "understanding" of that unknown. I've got a great, silly metaphor for this.

There's a door in the basement you've never opened because strange noises come from it. Instead of just opening the door and checking it out, you start thinking "maybe this is one of those scary doors that has monsters, rodents, and evil hidden behind it". You convince yourself you don't need to look because you know what's behind it already and thus, never take a chance. However, one day you overcome your fear and open it, revealing a tiny boiler room. Nothing scary at all and now you know where the strange sounds come from and why they happen.

Silly metaphor, but I think it's plausible. People are nervous when they encounter things they don't understand (whether it's a door or another person) but the more they learn about it, they begin to understand it and understanding tends to destroy irrational fear and paranoia. So in short, multiculturalism saves us from petty generalizations and social fears by allowing us to see how "other" people live and thus remove them from the category of "other".